Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greencert needed to inherit forestry?

Options
  • 18-01-2024 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I am 25yo and due to inherit the family farm. Our farm is 150ac and currently 50ac of that is in planted forestry with Irish Wood Producers. In the coming years as part of his retirement plan- Dad plans to plant the rest of the fields in forestry (bar the odd few paddocks which will be left as grass for small animals)

Therefore by the time I am eventually to inherit the land- 95% of it will be in forestry and not working grassland/fields. Does anyone know If I am required still to have a GreenCert to inherit forestry? Seeing as the land technically won't be "working agricultural land" anymore and it will be tied into forestry for the foreseeable future? Will I still need to have a GreenCert for tax purposes? Or is that not relevant to forestry?

For further context I am living abroad at the moment and need to plan if I need to move home for a year or two to get the GreenCert done - so all is in order for farm transfer and we have our ducks in a row.

Any insights appreciated from anyone who has inherited land in forestry or anyone who has transferred it to children or plans to.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Two quick things:

(1) Talk to an accountant about how inheritance tax works with respect to the green-cert and how forestry is interpreted. It's a legal/financial question more than anything else.

(2) Do the green-cert anyway 😀 I did it by blended learning in 2018-19 and enjoyed it. There are several options for doing it now and lots of ag colleges dotted around the country. You could possibly do it online, with perhaps one trip home per month for an on-site day. That's assuming you're in the UK or Europe, and not America or Australia.

The only downside is that you might discover a grá for farming and then you'll end up becoming one of us!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lmk123

You can do it online, you’d need to come home a few times to do exams but nothing major, just be sure you definitely don’t want to ever do any farming before it’s planted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

How much is the part time course? . Some direction of 2000 is it. Nice wee chunk of money to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

Definitely find out from an accountant what the benefits of green cert is in terms of finances.

In terms of farming, green cert is not necessary, Teagasc brainwashing .

• Registered Users Posts: 37 international xl

Forestry land green cert or no green cert you pay stamp duty on the forestry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭893bet

I think you can get Agri relief on it with the greencert as you are farming it as crop etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Advertisement