Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurghada

Options
  • 18-01-2024 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Looking at possibly going to Hurghada I'm last week of August. Easyjet fly direct from Belfast.

Family of 6, 2 adults and 4 kids 10, 8, 6, 3. Flight time is 6 hours but that is doable, we were in Bulgaria last year so a 4 hour flight.

The hotels available in Hurghada give great value compared to Spain, Portugal etc.

So are we mad even thinking about it! Anyone been with a family?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SweetSand

We ve been to Egypt multiple times, with kids and without. Not in Hurghada but in Sharm el Sheikh, I am sure they are very similar. Few things - it will be very hot there in August and the standards of hotels are def not the same as in Europe. Their 5 stars are generally not the real 5 stars so I would read a lot of reviews/ check YouTube to make sure you ll be happy with the hotel of your choice. Saying that, there are really nice places to stay but they tend to be more expensive almost on par with hotels in Spain and Portugal. We love snorkelling, which is amazing in Sharm el Sheikh and pools will be nice and loads of evening entertainment. Food is another thing to keep an eye while reading reviews. Alcohol will be local brands in most all inclusive hotels unless you go to premium hotel like Rixos. You ll have to make sure to bring loads of sun protection for everyone, creams, spays and etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Passed through Hurghada last October, seems like a good spot but not as developed as Sharm across the Red Sea in that there was a fair bit of construction going on near the main street. Whatever resort you are thinking of look at the surrounds of it on Google Earth/Streetview before booking as you dont want to be isolated and dependent on taxis (which are cheap enough to be fair but you have to haggle hard).

I believe the coral reefs are excellent in Hurghada but as said I was just passing through from Luxor on my way to get a short flight over to Sharm. If you do go to Hurghada a trip to Luxor is well worth it for the temples, especially Karnak Temple which is world class. The tombs in the Valley of the Kings are excellent too if a bit packed with tourists. Also cheap hot air balloning there if you haggle hard, I got my balloon flight for €60 while others in the basket paid €100+.

Would agree with other poster that it will be very hot in August. It was lovely in October, highs of about 32c most days which I was used to after months on the road in Africa. But August will be as high as 40 degrees which could be uncomfortable for kids coming from Ireland and used to less than 20 degrees.

Advertisement