Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Lyon

• 19-01-2024 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi guys

On Wednesday I'm moving to Lyon, Will be working between Lyon and Aix -Provence.

House sorted, job sorted but obviously moving Dublin to France I know nobody I'm 37 so that bit harder to just make friends then it once was. This is my only concern the lonlieness setting in.

Has anyone been that can advise clubs or bars which tend to be popular with ex pats in Lyon. Or any information they may feel helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Good luck with the move

re this

so that bit harder to just make friends then it once was. This is my only concern the loneliness setting in

You do know that this is all something you made up in your head!

Look at the map and see where you are and embrace this fantastic opportunity to be in such a lovely location.

My personal experience of this sort of thing, staring back when I first emigrated in 1975, is that you are better engaging with the wider community as opposed to ex-pats who tend to be insular in outlook and blind to what is outside the front door.

Instead explore how you can be a contribution to the community you are living in.

Again, good luck, am jealous!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Patrycko

Thank you I done a year in Paris before a few years back. I'm really excited about going to Lyon. Our work offered potential relocations and I jumped at it last week and asked for earliest possible deployment.

I've nothing left in Dublin for me so I'm just excited to get away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭The Ging and I

If you dont speak the language learn it. Easier said than done. If you have some hobbies or interests find the local connection. That's what opened a lot of doors for me. Expats can be good but you are going to a big multicultural city, get out there and mingle.

Definitely have basic French enough to sort of get away with it. Done a year in Paris living in Chatl

Lyon nicer climate in summer, then mixed in with Provence. Ex pats are a safe bet most times.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Tippman24

There is the James Joyce pub in the city. Being run by a Roscrea man called Liam Kirwan. I have been in it a few times and have no complaints about it. Restaurants in the City are top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I worked there for a few months back in the late 90s. Was a great experience. The old city is beautiful, the cathedral, the rivers, bridges. Also TGV runs into the station there. Loads of public transport. Fantastic looking Airport too. People were very friendly and much more laid back than Paris. Also you are near the mountains etc etc.

Have no idea what it's like now.

Exhale and go and enjoy the experience and make the most of it.

Loving all the positives folks wish I was flying out today. Just cannot wait for the experience of being away again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭kindalen

Good luck, lovely city with a strong Italian influence. Paul Bocuse indoor market is a real treasure. Friendships will come as they always do. Bonne Chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

I was lucky enough to spend couple of years in and out of Lyon for work 2007-2009

great town and lots within reach by train

one of the great centres for culinary

loads of Irish (I think TCD had links with the uni there) if u want

Loved it and would have made it permanent only for commitments I had at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

@Patrycko Has anyone been that can advise clubs or bars which tend to be popular with ex pats in Lyon. Or any information they may feel helpful.

My advice: don't! Don't head straight for the pubs&clubs ex-pat scene - it's a recipe for never properly settling in, and for storing up small headaches that become bigger problems as time goes by. I've been resident here in France for 20 years, and by far the vast majority of "unsettled" newcomers are those that try to comfort themselves with reminders of how not French they are.

You might not realise it yet, but you have a magic password that'll get you off to a great start in any all-French community: introduce yourself as "Patrycko, je suis irlandais" and you'll be fast-tracked into whatever social, cultural, administrative or other circle you need to be in.

Also: it may sound ridiculous, but make a point of wandering up and down the aisles of your local supermarket and hardware ("brico") store, just looking at the stuff on the shelves. You'll pick up a huge range of vocabulary that isn't taught in regular French classes (particularly brand names) but words that people use in everyday conversation. And sooner or later someone will ask you to grab something from the top shelf, or if you know where the flavoured crips are. One of my favorite "yesss!" moments from my early years here was the White Goods guy in Leclerc scooting over to me with a gas regulator in his hand and asking "what's this called in English?"

Lastly (for now), whether you've ever dabbled in "diddley-eye" music or not, think seriously about dipping a toe in the bal trad scene, which is particularly strong in and around Lyon. In many respects, it's almost an underground culture that even purebred Frenchmen and women don't know about - but it's one of the most welcoming communities you'll find anywhere, and arguably the very best value for money live entertainment you'll ever enjoy. If you read this in time, try this https://agendatrad.org/e_2024-02/bal-folk-irlandais_47137.html as a first step using your Irishness as an excuse - but be warned: you're quite likely to be the only Irish person there!

• Advertisement
Advertisement