Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small water tank in attic overflowing

• 19-01-2024 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hello,

Some background: I have gas-based heating with a boiler. House is ~ 2016 construction and has a "rainwater collection" system from "kingspan" (not sure if relevant). For a while now a white pipe sticking out from under the roof has been leaking water onto my roof and with this recent cold the roof is freezing up.

I went in the attic and saw this small-ish water tank and at first it seemed related to the rainwater collection but that didn't seem likely as when I started to remove some of the water the tank would automatically refill from the redish pump you see on the side in the picture.

1) any idea what is this tank used for? reading online they say it's cold water tank yet I tried turning on the tap in my bathroom but no water was flowing from this tank

2) how do I stop it from overflowing? Looking at it it seems that there is a 90-degree white tupe that "trickles" water (the same point where the ball is attached).

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭charlesanto

The small tank feeds your central heating.

See this vid

eo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

It shouldn't be a big issue. The cause is probably a perished seal on the inlet attached to the blue ball cock.

The ball cock should shut off the flow of water in to this tank once it is up to the required level.

But with the perished seal water continues to leak into the tank which results in it going over the level it is meant to be at, which then flows out of the white pipe on the left.

Plumber can fix this in a few minutes once they have the right part, very straightforward & quite common.

There are also DIY fixes which I won't outline as they could do more harm than good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Could the ball cock level just need adjusting? if you lift the ball cock up manually does the water stop flowing?

If not Pete M has the solution. If it does stop maybe an adjustment?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 not_a_sheep

Thanks for replies!

In my case I do not seem to have a bigger water tank in the attic (altough there is a big 1.8 meters rectangular blue tank downstairs in the garden enclosed in a white casing, maybe that's it...)

Any idea what is the point of this small water tank in the first place? When I removed some of the water below a certain level, the red "pump" started kicking in and more water was added until the level was restored. This is different from the white 90-degree tube sticking on the left pipe where the ball is attached (though that one was the one "trickling".

Yes, if I do lift it manually it does shut the smaller white tube from trickling (though it has no effect on the red thing keeping water level to a set point)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭charlesanto

I wrongly assumed that you had a large and small tank, then the small tank would be for central heating.

But since this is the only tank, it must be that the red valve is harvested water being pumped into the tank, and the normal ballcock is a traditional water feed that is used when there is no harvested water.

I'm by far an expert so cannot comment further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭hydrus21

I think this tank is connecred to the w.c.Flush the loo and see if the tank starts to fill

Advertisement