Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insulating sockets

• 19-01-2024 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

House is about 20 years old, no issues with heat, just me being a perfectionist..

I noticed some of the wall sockets on external walls are loose and can have a cold breeze

I think if i looes them from the wall, stuff in some glassfibre attic insulation, tighten back to wall and seal with caulk it would help the house keep in a bit more heat

Assume someone is gonna reply saying this is a bad idea, so looking forward to learning more

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Better off sealing the holes in it or conduit with

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/no-nonsense-intumescent-sealant-white-310ml/5689R?tc=BI8&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2KitBhCIARIsAPPMEhL7yIe6o2GaxMrsqEjPuEa6sH6CGyixHDYdZ1bqh389GhYkHita9T0aAkZPEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Glass fibre not any use in this car as its not airtight

how are the wire feed to sockets?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭User567363

The walls were chased, wires in the groves, then insulated slabs stuck to walls with holes cut for the sockets

Be impossial to make an air tight seal inside with the wires, was assuming caulking the sockets to the wall will stop air getting in or out

Intumescent sealant as above to seal the chase area down to socket box. Prevent air coming into the box cavity rather than around the socket itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Did the blockwork have a wet plaster finish under the slabs for airtightness?

• Advertisement

Nope, there is probably air getting through the blockwork so i am trying to seal as much as possubal where i have access, hence plan for caulking around sockets and light switches

Applying the Intumescent sealant as suggested would require turning off power, fully removing the face plate and sealing around the back of the cutout where the slab meets the wall, sounds very difficult and there is bound to be a spot missed, i am 50, eyes just arent as good as they were 10 years ago

50s the new 40 my man 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

turning off power, fully removing the face plate and sealing around the back of the cutout where the slab meets the wall

That's the only way you're going to fix the problem. Blindly stuffing insulation and caulk into whatever gap you can create without removing the faceplate will be very messy and never be a success. Besides, if you have dodgy eyes, you definitely need to be turning off the power before you go poking things near electrical wires!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭The Ging and I

I used expandable foam for this and it worked very well. But you must use small amounts. If you miss a bit come back later.

With the blocks leaking air at a great rate,

Filling sockets will only.oush the same air to escape skirting or somewhere else.

• Advertisement

Can we really tell the blocks are leaking air at a great rate though. Depends on the build, the cavity external, finish, age lots of things.

Concrete blocks are porous. No debate really. You might get away with it with pumped cavity otherwise air walks through them.

No debating. We know their porous but Leaking air at a great rate' . We've no clue of his setup.

Example every room in my house was plastered, not boarded. 1970s plastered one toilet was rendered.

Is that air porous ?

Lol good point about electricity, but i was just gonna use finger to rub a bead of caulk all around where socket face meets the wall

Interesting,i could run a bead along the top and bottom of skirting board too

Post edited by User567363 on

I suppose my thinking was i have 100mm insulation all around bar where they cut holes for the sockets and light switches and the draught proofing was to reduce the dusty air getting in

Any wet finish internally should give an acceptable level of airtightness. Would be used with barriers and taping at junction now but in the 1970s no so I'd guess any issues you could have would be around windows etc.

Advertisement