Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiling on OSB

• 19-01-2024 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

hello Folks,

its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to joists end. Have screwed the osb every 300mm. 18 mm osb. Thinking of putting on a few coats of sbr. Area feels solid but of course I cannot really control any moisture absorption or expansion/contraction. Cannot raise floor level to place ply on top. Am I crazy thinking of this or might this work? Unfortunately tiles are big, 75 x 20 cm. Advice appreciated. Thanks, John.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭e.r

If you haven’t tiled yet, used a cement based tanking kit. If you have , the adhesive may give up its bond over time as the resin in the osb will cause it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Could install a de-coupling membrane also (shouldn't rise the height of the floor more than a few mm's). Would prefer to install 6mm magnesium board, stuck and screwed to the OSB but if you're limited with the floor level then the de-coupling membrane should be thinner again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No, OSB turns to mush with moisture. Put the thinnest cement backer board on the OSB you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JonathanAl

thanks Lads, can you tell me dr colossus, whats a decoupling-membrane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Number of different manufacturers, the Schluter brand is probably the most recognised but equally the more expensive. A lot of tile shops here now stock some variety whereas a number of years ago you had to import anything tile related that was out of the ordinary (I had a lot of trouble a few years ago importing epoxy grout for an ensuite, some tile shops offered to order it specifically but it was prohibitively expensive at €150+ per 4kg tub)

• Advertisement
Advertisement