Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post postman

Options
  • 19-01-2024 9:50pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2

How common is for An post postman/delivery operative to call and send messages to customers regards their packages from his own, private phone? Do they have like company phone, or they are using personal phone for contacting customers regards mail and packages?

Just seems odd that postman calls a friend of mine with his own, private phone.

Any replies welcomed.

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The handhelds they use for recorded delivery / are meant to scan Deliverybox barcodes with etc have phone abilities in them; although whether they're used anymore I don't know - it has been a very long time since a postman phoned me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Our postman phones regularly, or WhatsApps, to say a parcel was left. It's a phone he uses but I don't know, or really care, if it's a personal one or not.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 sterop

Thanks Jim. Yeah, he sends messages on whatsapp etc. My friend noticed that he is online on whatsapp in awkward time, around 11pm and his profile picture is on as well so we thought that it is his personal phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Thats a post man going above and beyond. Appreciate it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

In Dublin, probably unusual but to be appreciated I think.

In rural Ireland, I'd be surprised if the local postman didn't call a lot of people on a daily basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

A postman contacting a person regarding their delivery versus a courier just dumping it on the doorstep without even ringing the bell? I wouldn't care if he was grabbing a phone off a passerby tbh.

My postman often hides small parcels from view and leaves a note in the letterbox to let me know it's there. It's great, because I don't have to get in the car and drive to the depot to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I've had the odd phone call from the postman, mostly when he was getting to know our set up, now he knows where parcels can be left and there is no problem. Usually leaves a note in the letter box. The couriers mostly do the same, I suppose it depends on whether they are regulars or not. I have no complaints about the service, I think its great.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: Hello @sterop

When you have verified your account by clicking on the link we sent to your email, you will have access to the Consumer Issues forum which is where your discussion below will continue from now on:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058332237/an-post-postman

If you can’t find the link to activate your account, here it is once again:

https://www.boards.ie/entry/emailconfirmrequest

Thanks.

-Shield

Advertisement