Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating derelict cottage

Options
  • 20-01-2024 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Inherited an old farmhouse/cottage a couple of years back. Its stone/clay construction. The slate roof which dates to around 1920 is in a bad state and can no longer be patched up/repaired. As well as obvious damp and cold, it needs the works, wiring/plumbing/insulating/re-roofing etc. Last occupant died in 2007 and has been vacant since, with just occasional repairs (rotten windows replaced, roof leak repairs etc)

I've been looking into the vacant home and dereliction grants and am just seeking first steps advice on how to go about this. The biggest construction work I've ever undertaken was getting my own place re-plumbed fully and that itself was a fiasco involving dodgy contractors who took the piss requiring me to hire others to sort it out. I'd like to get the right people on this project from the off and spend the funds as wisely as possible, and ideally not lose half of it in professional fees.

I was planning to enquire with the local authority first and then see about getting quotes from local builders/contractors. Would it be recommended to involve an architect/engineer firm for advice prior to this as regards planning and proper drawings and costings.

Any advice v welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭Francis McM

To be honest, as you say its stone/clay construction, and the slate roof dates to around 1920 and is in a bad state and can no longer be patched, it sounds as if more than likely everything else probably has to be done to bring it up to modern standards like windows, doors, electrics, plumbing, probably floors etc. Having been involved in a few house renovations over the years, I think you would be as well to knock it and build a proper house with radon gas barrier and everything else. Very old cottages and houses done up are very seldom right. Even internal door heights have changed as people have got taller. Technology and materials and design ( letting more light in etc ) has moved on in the past 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

That would be my thinking as well. Radon barrier would be important as I'm in a black spot for it and have had to have three sumps added to my own place to bring the radon figures down to safe levels....

My only issue with wholesale demolition and new build is I assume there would then be no qualification for the grants available. I notice there is also a top going to get advice on renovating a traditional cottage back to it's former glory which I presume would mean keeping most of the structure intact.

That said, I was listening to a segment on the radio recently where one of the journalists mentioned that out of 5000 grant applications of this type, 22 people in the entire country have actually seen a euro out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Madd002

Go to council first and get all info you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eimokeeffe

Hello Hyperbollix 😂

My husband and I are currently renovating a cottage ourselves of the same era.

Radon barrier can be installed along with damp proof membrane and as much insulation as deemed fit after the floors have been dug out. New roof and then you'd hand the house over to a SEAI approved contractor they'll get your house up to the best BER rating possible.

It's very important to do some research to insulate walls with more natural breathable type products as I think we all have memories of damp stone houses due to standard cement based plasters and insulation being used.

You'll be a shoe in for the vacant property grant of €70000 as well as the home energy grants to improve the BER.

DON'T KNOCK IT, it's do-able but some people will try turn you off. You just get the work done according to the budget you have.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Be very careful about relying on getting that grant.

I was listening to the radio recently while driving and something like one half of a per cent of the people who applied for the grant have received it.

It sounded like another one of these things the government make a big song and dance about and then do nothing to back it up.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

It can often be worth holding on to our older houses and buildings - i think in the past we have often been too quick to simply demolish them and build something new. I've worked with a few older builders who appreciate the heritage of these buildings more and more and have regrets about how they would have taken an approach to renew or replace everything previously.

The nature of the existing farmhouse, its location and the character of the wider site may influence your decision - along with any planning constraints and grants available.

F

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

to be fair, the scheme only opened on 1st May 2023, and applicants have 13 months to complete the works, so its not at all unusual that theres a tiny percentage who have drawn down funds at this stage. remember that the applicant must fund the costs upfront and draw down the grant after completion.

fully agreed.

People are way too quick to demolish vernacular cottages with the view of "making them modern". They should be appreciated for what they are, and they should be upgraded to a reasonable standard without effecting the integrity of the structure. They will never be "A rated" and nor should they be expected to be. the project should be designed to accommodate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Thanks all,

Would it be accurate to say that this project would have a (much) greater chance of successfully qualifying for the various grants if it's treated as a heritage restoration where the house is simply restored, on the exterior at least, to it's original condition. Building within the footprint, all walls intact etc?

My preference isnt to change it drastically or attempt to modernize it. I would like to be able to possibly rent it, maybe short holiday stays at first to see how it goes. So I think the traditional look and feel is an attraction worth holding onto.

But realistically without the grant aid coming thru at the end, I'm not in a position to commit to it. I'm just hoping that since the house is genuinely in need of renovation and is kind of the perfect candidate for the new schemes, that it might be successful.

I thought it was launched in July 2022, listening to that radio show it sounded like it wasn't being operated properly at all. I think they said over half the applicants hadn't even had an acknowledgement that their application had been received.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Please don’t knock your cottage.

Yes it’s a huge task but you can do it in stages as we have done. Some of the most beautiful homes I have been in retain the old but add new. That contrast makes the home something special.

Honestly, it won’t be cheap. But.. as ever… it could be spectacular. Planning for a longer period of time, renovation of the existing with a future plan (if needed) for newer addition is key. It sounds like you want to rent this cottage out in the short term. What are the long term goals?

For us, we renovated the cottage first we employed an architect to draw up the complete plans, when we have the time and the finance we will add onto our cottage.we will maintain the old and have clear separation of the new.

it is a daunting prospect when starting off, please heed the advice of people above with regard to rendering etc. it makes a huge difference. Don’t just use cement/plaster. Get lots and lots of advice, there are many Facebook groups available for this and people have been incredibly kind to offer advice and even help on there with our little project.

we got no grants for anything and did most of the work ourselves during our holiday time in Ireland.hard work but just love it now.

Yeah your correct, my bad. The scheme was extended in may 2023 to induce rental properties. The big expansion of the scheme into rural Ireland was in November 2022.

Which is 14 months ago.

The scheme has teething problems, like most government run schemes, but it's very much churning along nicely now

Advertisement