Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composite decking

Options
  • 21-01-2024 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

We are looking at sprucing up the garden a bit this spring, the start of which will be a patio/composite decking area.

She would prefer the patio but I don't think it would suit the area and am leaning towards the composite decking.

What's peoples experiences with the comp decking. I remember how slippy the old wooden stuff was and the maintenance!

Is it more cost effective that a patio?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Matter of taste really.

I have my composite in 3 or 4 years now. I went with better deck products above in Cavan which are Timbertech decking from the USA.

I did a DIY install and used Rhino plastic supports and American southern yellow pine that had been properly pressure treated, not just a couple of mm of whatever we use here these days. Installed on 12" centers. Makes all the difference in terms of rigidity.

Was far from cheap all things considered but there's no way a patio would suit where I am.

Supports:

I'm terms of looking after it I've done nothing. Might run a sweeping brush over it this year but it's like the day it went in really. The rain and wind tend to look after it for me.

Never gets too hot for bare feet either but it does get a little on the uncomfortable side.

It's slippy when it's covered in ice, but so is everything else too. Other than that it's disappointingly grippy for when the kids want to go sliding.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

All decks will be slippy yes. Not all patios will no. Asthetics is down to yourself.

I went with brick in a herringbone pattern

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a balcony with a composite decking floor and its great, looks nice and is not slippery. I didn't specify but I think its fairly high end composite, its used for the steps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Very helpful thank you

Advertisement