Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

And acknowledged the error. She still said it though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Farrell is a proven liar so not sure why you are bothering to quote her!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭chooseusername

You want me to look for it for you?

I will, yeh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

Are you ever going to debate me on your rubbishing of 2 separate DPP devision to not charge Bailey with murder? For some reason you want us all to consider that the DPP isn't infallible and that 2 separate DPPs have made previous mistakes in not bringing Bailey before a jury? Care to explain your reasoning for challenging the robustness of those DPP decisions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Marie Farrell is a Walter Mitty sort of person imo.

From Retired detective garda Jim Fitzgerald

Mr Fitzgerald said he was in touch with Ms Farrell on several occasions to try to determine the identity of the man who she claimed she was with on the night she saw a man on Cealfada Bridge on the night of 22/23 December 1997.

Mr Fitzgerald said from three pieces of information she had given him about the man over a couple of weeks he traced him as Jan Bartel from Longford.

When he approached Ms Farrell to confront her with this information she eventually admitted it in and then later tried to facilitate a meeting between the two.

However, before one such meeting she claimed Mr Bartel had gotten cold feet.

He later managed to arrange a meeting with Mr Bartel through a detective garda based in Longford.

He said Mr Bartel had told him that he knew Ms Farrell well but had not seen her in years and that he was at a function with his wife on the night in question.

Mr Fitzgerald said after a number of further meetings with Ms Farrell she admitted the man with her was not Mr Bartel, but that she could not reveal who it was because of personal problems.

Source; https://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0217/680842-bailey/

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And yet the Guards were still willing to use her information against Bailey.

Completely unsafe conduct and a blank cheque to write your own miscarriage of justice.

But we have posters here telling us to trust the secret information the Guards have that they can only disclose to favoured journalists.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well, then maybe we might just consider putting a bit more weight on those who claim to have accessed the full file to date at the relevant time. Despite reservations about their motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nope.

The problem is that some of those such as Nick Foster with access to it have expressed theories only indirectly baed on the Garda File. They have also made nonsense claims about watches and garbage from anonymous sources and then used weasel words about the Garda File... so it is never clear if their claims are actually in the Garda File or is their 'interpretation' of it.

Bailey is recorded as arriving at the scene at 14.20 outside at the initial cordon.

And nobody has provided direct information from any document (DPP report, Garda File) to contradict that.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I discussed this with another poster already today. Nothing personal but I don`t intend to do it all again with you. Have you not been reading the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Essentially comes down to Marie Farrell is right and two DPP’s and everyone else are wrong. OK

• Advertisement

Wha?? No. I say Marie Farrell is wrong. She says the man she saw on three occasions was not Ian Bailey. I say the first two sightings were of Ian Bailey because it is corroborated by other witnesses. I furthermore said that I don`t believe she was out at all on the night of the murder, so the Kealfada story is invention. If you kept some notes you might be able to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

The 6 pages of the GSOC report relating to Marie Farrell start at page 15 for those who may not have read it.

Believe as much of it as you will, but the timelines of the phone calls and alleged sightings are there ;

https://www.gardaombudsman.ie/news-room/archive/information-report-from-the-garda-siochana-ombudsman-commission-at-the-completion-of-the-investigation-into-the-complaints-of-ian-bailey-catherine-jules-thomas-and-marie-farrell/?download=file&file=2748

%PDF-1.6 % 252 0 obj > endobj 264 0 obj >/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[]/Index[252 24]/Info 251 0 R/Length 76/Prev 2609034/Root 253 0 R/Size 276/Type/XRef/W[1 3 1]>>stream

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Read the GSOC report this evening. Very interesting and well worth a read. Their conclusions:

No evidence of Marie Farrell being intimidated or pressured by the gardai. No evidence of her being asked to sign blank statements to be later filled in by gardai.

Evidence of pages removed from jobs book.which GSOC are concerned about, possibly a rogue detective. The detectives didn't really cooperate.

Some evidence and witness statements went missing likely through mismanagement.

No evidence of high level garda corruption.

The gardai acted reasonably within the law, arrests and questioning lawful.

One other bit from it, Ian Bailey was in the habit of ringing the Gardai and pretending to be Eoin Bailey, journalist. A bit odd, almost as if he was trying to find out what the gardai knew but didnt want to let on who he was.

Overall the GSOC report doesn't really determine Baileys guilt or innocence, just analyses the gardai performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,733 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Weren't they having an affair, Marie and Fitzgerald, was a mole on a buttock revealed

• Registered Users Posts: 86,733 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wonder will the missing gate show up in Ian's flat or something else planted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The conspiracy theorists prefer not to engage in discussion about the facts of the case.

There were investigations into Gardai behaviour and Bailey often attempted to win compensation from court cases that lasted weeks and weeks if not months, but it didn't matter if it was in front of a Judge or a Judge and jury he was left ridiculed everytime and destined for poverty and squalor because of his life choices.

He was a stain on society.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭OrangeBadger

The fact that this German guy was dismissed so easily blows my mind, he lives one mile from her house and when questioned by the guards he said he was too drunk to remember what happened that night.....

"The man, who was quizzed by gardai over Sophie's murder, had lived one mile from the remote cottage where the pretty French film-maker was found battered to death.

Soon after her death, he returned to Germany where he penned the mysterious note, before taking his own life"

"He had been drunk on the night of Ms Toscan du Plantier's murder and couldn't really account for what had gone on that night.

He left a suicide letter which stated he had done something terrible but didn't go into further detail and subsequently killed himself."

Investigations by a toothless GSOC. A GSOC that has been proven time and again to be a mere box ticking entity.

An investigation that stopped short of calling the following corrupt:

- Cutting pages out of jobs books.

- Loosing witness statements and items of evidence.

- Talking about having witness statements altered.

- Wiretapping themselves in Bandon Garda Station.

- Giving a homeless ex British soldier marajuana to illicit a confession from Bailey.

- Senior Garda tried to exert pressure on the minister for justice to pressure the DPP to bring a murder case against Bailey.

The investigation was a complete sham. And it has lead to 1 of 2 outcomes.

1. Ian Bailey didn't face justice for a murder he did comitt.

2. Another person(s) didn't face justice for the murder of STDP. And Ian Bailey's life was ruined as a result of the Garda investigation.

Neither is of much comfort to STDPs family and the blame for that lies squarely with a deeply flawed, incompetent and IMO deeply corrupt Garda investigation.

I don’t disagree with you.

And also, I’ve one question for you. How do you view the 2024 Garda investigation? What’s your view on them asking people who may have been afraid when Bailey was alive, to now come forward?

Bailey had not been in good health for some time - he was so notorious and infamous he couldn’t do anything anywhere without it being noted- you could argue he wasn’t a threat to anyone anymore.

Why are the Gardai pursuing this line of investigation? I may not have had faith in the 1997 investigation team, but I think most would agree the 2024 version is much different.

Curious about your thoughts and that of others on this aspect. I don’t believe the 2024 version of the Gardai are stupid - they clearly believe there’s something still not right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Zola1000

This is very chilling evidence. I hadn't heard much of the detail surrounding him.was there much on Garda reasoning to eliminate him as suspect...

would Sophie have frequented that pub at any time where he was playing music or I guess possibly would he have ever met her. Very strange though circumstances and only mile away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I reckon they sere hoping Jules would change her story and tell them that it was Bailey. Jules telling the media after he died that he didn't do it ruined AGS's hopes

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Zola1000

This is very concise post. Ultimately like for an decent DPP file to re-emerge with significant evidence to point to bailey...nobody has anything left.

Lot of posts here about Marie Farrell...honestly I wouldn't know where they begin to look at witness of that nature ever again. It just wouldn't hold up. The fact that previously under oath she has lied and walked out of court...technically she under contempt of court or purge her contempt . Isn't it also she had move away from schull in order to get away as significant possibility lot of neighbours had serious issues with her in end living there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Yes but she didn't know imo

But ya AGS did their best to rattle her cage arresting her for murder

Bailey knew better than to tell her imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The Gardai have been a shambles throughout this whole case. When I think back to the quality of Gardai we had in the 70s-80s-90s, all I think of is corruption, laziness, ignorance, stupidity, greed, violence etc. Bent coppers everywhere and whistleblowers were attacked at all levels.

I mean they were faking drink driving tests and quashing penalty points up until recently.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Gardai are also looking at a number of hours of hi-8 video footage taken at an arts festival in 1995 to see if there’s proof of Sophie and Bailey together - this is 2024 Gardai not 1997 Gardai investigating - it’s food for thought. Whilst none of the current evidence in the public domain supports a clear case against Bailey, something is motivating Gardai to keep investigating this particular line of enquiry.

Im done with discussing the ins and outs of the past investigation - I’m finding the 2024 version of the Gardai and what they’re saying and what they’re doing, far more interesting - they’re not “thick”

• article paywalled - I read it myself in the hard copy version

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2024/01/26/gardai-examining-footage-from-cork-cultural-events-to-see-if-it-shows-ian-bailey-with-sophie-toscan-du-plantier/

It's a worthwhile exercise for them to do this cold case review now. Like you said, perhaps they will find something concrete. But with the passage of time, IMO, that is fairly unlikely. Any testimony now to the guilt of Bailey, or any other person, would have to be rock solid. After 26 years, any testimony would want to be stringently corroborated for it to be of evidential value. The chances of any physical evidence being found to finally solve this case are slim to nil. The preservation of the evidence by the Gardai left a lot to be desired.

Yes, I think the cold case review is warranted. But the chances of the identity of the murderer being established beyond reasonable doubt are very slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,973 ✭✭✭✭briany

The most acquaintance I'd ever heard of Bailey having with Du Plantier was that she was known to him or that he was known to her. People talk about Bailey's capability of violence towards women because of his beatings of Jules Thomas, but as heinous as domestic abuse is, there are factors to it that normally limit the scope of violence to particular person or set of people, like the familiarity between the abuser and the abused, as well as a requisite escalation period like time spent drinking or having a big argument. It isn't necessarily form for brutally killing women with whom you have, at best, a passing knowledge of.

A big unanswered question I have is exactly why Du Plantier was outside her home. If the killer was barely known to her, or unknown to her, I'm sceptical that she'd come outside that willingly. If I put myself in her position - a woman, on my own, in a lonely spot, and I hear a knock on the door or a voice outside calling for me.... the minimum I want to know is who it is before I'm opening the door, and I'd also want to know what they're doing there at that ungodly hour, and these wouldn't be unreasonable requests on my part because everyone knows that the early hours of the morning are not polite to make house calls in.

Not sure that will strengthen the case enough really. All it will prove is that he lied about knowing her. Which there is some evidence about already anyway with Alfie Lyons famous 90% certain claim. The Gardai will still have a hard time constructing a case where they can't place the chief suspect at the scene of the murder, have no physical evidence of his involvement in the murder and have no motive for the murder. They'll still be relying on weak witness testimony and various threads of circumstantial evidence. And have to battle their own incompetence and corruption in gathering a lot of that circumstantial evidence. It's evidence against a dead man who can't even defend himself now.

There's only 2 ways IMO that the Gardai could prove beyond reasonable doubt that Bailey was the murderer:

1. New technology can be used on historical artefacts of evidence and prove that Bailey's DNA was on one of the murder weapons or was in very close vicinity to the murder scene I.e. the only way his DNA could be present there was him being present at the time of the murder.

2. Somebody (Jules) comes forward and confesses that they know Bailey did it, and that they didn't come forward until he had died as they feared for their own life. This would have to be accompanied by an explanation of their previous silence / lies that would withstand cross examination in court.

I’d argue that if Jules were to come forward and completely change her story and deliver a detailed account of an alternative story of what happened that night, implicating Bailey, that the entire population of Ireland would hang on her every word- absolutely no corroboration would be necessary- this would be taken as “gospel” .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Jules has been assisting The Cold Case Review Team for some time now and Bailey was aware of this 18 months ago.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement