Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brambles chocking other bushes

Options
  • 21-01-2024 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Hi

We recently moved into a new refurbished house in rural Ireland. Typical setup, half acre onto a road.

The problem we have is brambles have overgrown some of the fabulous landscaping that was left by the previous owner.

I've got into a few Hydrangea and cut out the brambles at the roots but how do I stop the growing back without killing the host as well.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Dig out the roots. Or pull them out. I find they pull out easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭anonanymore

Get yourself a pair of heavy leather gauntlets. I have a pair of welding gauntlets that are great for pulling out the roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We had the exact same situation. A mattock and good gloves, get the main root 'knob' out. If there are any more growths along the roots get them out too but the actual roots are not a problem once the main bit has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Nice thing about brambles is that it's usually a few plants gone crazy. So you can remove them quite quickly. Were gloves AND protective eyewear. You can keep an area wild for blackberries and nesting etc etc. which the birds really appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

If they're in around the base of deciduous plants like a Hydrangea where they're difficult to reach you can hit the new shoots with some glyphosate when they appear in the Spring before the plants leaf up fully, won't do the plants any harm once you keep the spray close to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Or make up a mix with wall paper paste and paint the cut bramble stems. I use a mix of about 4 parts water to 1 glyphosate and stir in cheap wall paper paste (Dealz) until you get a nice thick consistency. Don't paint this on anywhere it can drip down onto other plants. Also good on bindweed, ground elder, Japenese knotweed regrowth etc etc but will often need more than one dose.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement