Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player Live on Smart TV

Options
  • 21-01-2024 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭

I see our LG TV now have a "Live" option on RTE Player app. But none of our Google TVs have it. You can stream to the Google TV. But wondering why the Apps are so different?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭decor58

Same here on a LM6370, opening graphic white as against the previous red logo

No such update on Walker tv or Now stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Live TV channels option now also available on RTE Player via Samsung smart tv's. Picture quality superb I have to say.

Also, the RTE News channel appears to be in HD, which is good news, maybe they are finally putting a bit of effort into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I see they are giving you the option to sign in now but when you try it says invalid request 🙃🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Not live on my JVC Android Smart tv yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Yeah Android TV seems to be late to the party. The streams do look good on my LG and seem stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The video quality looked great on the LG. Never thought I'd say that about the player..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭JDxtra

In my home, a Sony Android TV has no live channels on the RTE Player app however the Apple TV app does.

The quality has improved on the live channels, RTE One appears marginally better than on Saorview - but need to watch it a bit more to see how it performs with different content. RTE News Now is in some unusual stretched aspect ratio with black border top and bottom. Was not HD.

This is one of the problems with the RTE Player app - each device (smart TVs, streaming boxes, tablets, phones) - all have different experiences and even different content on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭waywill1966

I wonder when or if Android smart tvs will be updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Interesting that Apple TV got it. Which Apple TV btw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The Apple TV app has supported live streaming since at least mid-2022, it’s not new.

Not sure what the minimum spec to run the app is but I’ve been running it on a 4K (1st generation) and HD both running tvOS 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Did you have to log in to have "Live TV"?

My Samsung (2016 model) doesn't have the Live feature, the Software Version is V.2.2.21

No, I didn't sign in, my tv is a 2019 Samsung Q90. It always had the RTE Player, but no live channels until about 10 days ago. I saw here that someone said their LG had got the live channels option, so that made me check my Samsung and sure enough, the live channels option had been added.

Out of curiosity, anyone know why the adverts are cut off during the add breaks on the RTE channels via the live option on the Player ?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

I have a 2017 Samsung and don't have live option yet and I reinstalled the app

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’m not sure and until recently, continuity (idents, promos etc) also removed - it’s been reinstated since the new year or thereabouts. Up until late last year two fairly annoying break fillers were used on RTE One and 2 - they’ve now been replaced by a much less annoying but a bit bizarre one featuring red triangles flying about the place.

I have three theories.

• Firstly they may simply want to sell different advertising on the Player feed
    • Secondly the same feed appears to be used to populate the catch up content on the player and they need to remove the adverts for that.
    • Thirdly the hated (well by me anyway) pre roll adverts would put the channel over its allowed advertising minutage if the normal adverts were left in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

not working for me even with an january 2024 update. there is no option for live tv

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They’re missing a trick not showing targeted ads during the live ad breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

RTE haven't a clue about multimedia. They do themselves no favours.

Even on the internet, the RTE player sucks.

I wanted to watch a 3 minute segment of the Late Late show.

So they have 3 minutes of ads before the Late Late Show actually starts.

Then you navigate to the actual segment you want. Guess what!!

Another 3 minutes of ads. The same bloody ads.😕

Another reason why people don't pay the licence fee.

Idiots.

For what it's worth, ITVx is riddled with adverts too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement