Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player Live on Smart TV

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's not working on my Samsung TV either.

The TV is only 6 days old, so not like it's out dated!! 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Banjo Carney

Not working at all or not showing live programmes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Message on screen saying rte player won't be supported on Samsung tv running older software from Aug 20th

I've updated everything on the tv software wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Just stream from your mobile.

The worlds worst streaming app.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It wouldn't work at all. Eventually after deleting it and reinstalling it for the umpteenth time, it eventually came to life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭deezell

Same here, 2017 Qled, there's no newer TV software updates available via the menu. Deleting and reinstalling app to the bar not doing anything. The version offered is December 2023, which is obviously not the latest.

Just went on the Samsung site, there is a new f/w version 1401.1 for my 2017 Qled, dated May 2024. My current version from Dec 2023 is 1400. Funny how the auto update didn't pick it up, but then the TV was a pre brexit UK import from the good old days, no knowing what updates are allocated to different regions. I've downloaded the 1.5GB image onto a USB, I'll give it a lash tomorrow.

Mine works alright but no live TV on it. @deezell let us know how you get on and if it works has it live TV. Thanks

No joy, the TV f/w update and reinstall of RTE Player produced no result. Same dead player message. I reset the Smart hub to clear it out, then logged out and resigned into my Samsung account in order to reload the App. Nothing, though I managed to wipe 'Her' Youtube history (she operates in Guest, My YT history is fine), so I'm in the doghouse into the bargain. Which TV software versions are in the bin? The answer is Tizen 1 to 3. I cant find an easy answer to which one is on my set, but as V4 was released in May 2017, it's a fair bet that all 2017 Samung Tvs, sold well into 2018. are probably running on Tizen 3 so are doomed. Heres RTE Player support reply;

Thank you for emailing RTÉ Player. As part of our ongoing commitment to delivering the best possible user experience and embracing the latest technology advancements, we periodically evaluate our product and support services. As of 20th of August we, along with other app providers, will no longer operate or be able to provide updates or support for devices running WebOS 3 or below on LG and Tizen 3 or below on Samsung. Can you confirm your TV operating system is above Tizen 3?

**What This Means for You:**

1. **End of Updates:** Starting from Aug 20th, your TV, with Tizen 3 or below, will no longer operate or receive RTÉ Player app updates as it won't be supported.
    2. **Customer Support:** While our user support teams will remain available to answer any questions and help with general queries, technical support specific to these operating systems will no longer be available.

So the set is obsolete If you can't just flick back to watch a missed program. Player live wasn't an issue for us, as theres no great advantage other than maybe pause. With Virgin Media player, (soon to be just VM Play), live is a bonus, as it's in HD which VM on Saorview isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Just spotted the same message on my Samsung 2016 TV (K series), and the same message has come up on my sister's Samsung 2017 TV (M series). I wonder are Samsung's 2018 models affected too (N series)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Does this help ?

Samsung didn't deploy Tizen 4 on Smart Tvs until 2018, given that it was only released May 2017. I bought my set last thing in 2017 in time for Xmas, it remained on sale well into 2018. I'd assume anything after seried M would be Tizen 4. My set is QE55Q60FAM, I presume the last digit is the model year designation, sometime in 2017, sold well into 2018.

Timeline here https://developer.samsung.com/smarttv/develop/specifications/general-specifications.html

for all sorts of stuff, Tizen 4 is 2018, but when in 2018 is unclear, I couldn't say whither a new model had it very early in 2018 or much later.

So are we saying a six year old Samsung tv will receive no further updates. How does this compare with android TVs how long would they receive updates for does anyone know

If lack of updates eventually prevents new features that's inevitable, but breaking existing features that worked is hard to take. Its RTE who is withdrawing Tizen 3 compatible player app, and I assume compatible server, but they're blaming Samsung.

Samsung have actually made a statement on support, as they intend dropping Tizen. They said that all 2024 Tizen sets will get updates for 7 years. Since I bought my set Samsung have broken the browsers webcam/embedded video stream ability in 2019, (with an irreversible update), VM player via TV browser no longer works, and now Rte player by browser or app is dead. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The problem is not Android TV. But RTE player seems to have a multitude of versions.

Only my Non Android TV the LG has RTE with Live feature enabled. My android TV devices don't. My android phones do. So I stream from a phone to the TV to get around this. It the only Android TV app I use that is different on different devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

And keep in mind, RTE are supposed to launch a completely new RTE Player sometime in 2025, so God only knows what tvs or devices will be compatible with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭decor58

RTEplayer app has been updated on Toshiba tv, been away for a few days, so I don't know when, so LG, Walker and Toshiba all have the live version app, running 4 Olympic streams at the moment. Still no sign of VM player or play on these 3 brands, VM player is on Now stick, player v play version.

Try the web browser version of VM play on these TVs . There never was a VM player app for my Samsung, but the Internet browser version used to work, until they updated to VM Play.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭doney84

Virgin Media Player now available on my LG tvs. It's not the new Play version though and the live channel streams only play the ads. The on demand stuff is working.

Advertisement