Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone experience with Sandwich Insulated panels?

Options
  • 22-01-2024 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I was watching a few videos and they seem incredibly cost-effective.

Looking at the most durable/thick ones the cost for material is around 60 euro (calculating vat at 13.5%).

That means that for a 80 m2 it'll cost about 5000k labor (cost should be very low since they're super easy to install)+ some other material (most notably a joist at the center). I'd guess one can have such a roof built for less than 7k.

Since insulation is integrated there's not much more to do.

So here my questions:

1- Has anyone used them? If so what was your experience about performance (thermal performance and durability) and costs? Have you seen them used in houses?

2- My understanding is that for a panel span of around 5m, I won't need any other structure to sustain them apart from a central joist. Would you disagree with this statement, and if so why?

3-Ideally I'd like to have a roof made with those on the north facing side, and put as many in-roof solar panels (thus with no rails) on the other, what structure would be most effective for the in-roof solar panels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There was a good conversation about them (SIPs) here around two years back, think all of those topics came up. I'll see can I find it.

Re you looking at them for residential use or shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Can't seem to find that discussion but I think that the jist of it was that the panels themselves are fine except that they need additional insulation to be fitted to the underside of them to bring the roof thermally up to spec, plus they need supporting members at the usual spacing, in-all adding up to a creeping roof height and compromises on how the SIP's are bonded to the rafters. I think one of the ideas was to bond additional ISO insulation to the underside, but that's not recommended or documented by the manufacturer so is a questionable practice. Maybe you'll have better luck in finding the discussion.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sips+insulated+panels+site%253Aboards.ie

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

just a point of clarification.

the pic in the OP is not a SIP panel, its an insulated cladding sheet.

SIP stands for structural insulated panel and are the structural frame of a build. They still need a weather clad externally.

the insulated cladding in the OP requires a structure under it.

so to answer the question:

1- Has anyone used them? If so what was your experience about performance (thermal performance and durability) and costs? Have you seen them used in houses?

Not specifically but ive seen them used as finishes to roofs of dwellings. That particular trapezoidal shape isnt typical used though as that looks like an industrial shed.

2- My understanding is that for a panel span of around 5m, I won't need any other structure to sustain them apart from a central joist. Would you disagree with this statement, and if so why?

Thats a structural query which we are not allowed to answer here. suffice to say that the answer to that question is down to your particular situation, and would be vastly depended on design of the structure, including the roof pitch.

3-Ideally I'd like to have a roof made with those on the north facing side, and put as many in-roof solar panels (thus with no rails) on the other, what structure would be most effective for the in-roof solar panels?

same answer as above, completely dependent to your situation, location. design etc

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

They are normally used on large industrial warehouses and factories.

They need a number of supports over their cladding span normally with metal purlins and cladding rails - including at each end.

The manufacturer normally provides calculations for spans and fixings - subject to type of panel, thickness, location, height, etc.

They are not generally used in dwellings - may be an issue with planning acceptance - and they can be noisy even under moderate rain - not really an issue with a warehouse.

There may be alternative solutions using metal walls and roofs more appropriate / acceptable for a dwelling.

F

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spupazza

Thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify, I didn't call them Structural Insulated Panel (I know what they are)

, but Sandwich Insulated Panels as that's a common way to call them.

Also to @FJMC : I think you're correct, they're relatively popular in the commercial/agricultural space from what I have seen online. I think they're also used regularly for garden rooms and sheds. But apparently, to some extent they're used for private dwellings (please see the picture attached). Searching online I have seen those applied in Germany, as also by some modular home manufacturer

• Advertisement
Advertisement