Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Jocelyn - Tuesday 23/Wednesday 24 January 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ros4Sam24

Here we go again

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Condor24

This shouldn't be as bad as Sunday for exposed areas but as usual, anything weakened by Isha will be at risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I blame Met Eireann

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

UK Met Office video on Storm Jocelyn - named by Met E ( Video at tweet below )

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1749392031368028413

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭littlema

Was it Met. ie or UK that named it?

Sorry, that must have crossed over my post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Well at least this time we we wont have to trudge through 143600 posts on the GAA club finals going ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

90-110kmh wind gusts for coastal parts of the west and northwest would be the extremities of this system based on current output. Less windy in the southeast of Ireland. Status Orange in place for Donegal, Mayo and Galway.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement

We are only 2 thirds through January and already near half way through the Storm names list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You'd be sick of it at this stage. Hopefully not as bad as yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Yellow - Wind Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry

Winds are widely expected to gust to 55-65 mph, with a few exposed locations possibly seeing in excess of 70 mph, although the greatest likelihood of these is now highlighted with an Amber warning. Gusts of 55-65mph are fairly typical for a winter storm across these areas, but following the impacts caused by Storm Isha resilience is expected to be lower and it may also hamper any ongoing recovery and repair efforts.

Apologies .. @Meteorite58 .. I deleted my post, to stop any more derailing. I cannot remove replies with it quoted, but the orig gone anyway

Moved it over to more appropriate thread:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121654209/#Comment_121654209

Post edited by aidanodr on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

The FFS has proven to be the most reliable weather model in the West of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

That’s a bit crazy to be fair

i assumed sligo was included

Never paid any heed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I can never understand the gaps in these warnings its silly or stupid does ME expect the wind tomorrow in the Orange areas to stop in the Yellow around Sligo and loop around to the next area and go Orange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,089 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I mentioned it yesterday.i thought it was strange it wasn't included in the red warning. Anyway this next storm is a minor one, 70mph gusts on coastal fringes is normal enough during winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I actually the whole country could have been red. A tree came down here in Kildare across a main road beside a school. Stroke of luck that no cars were at that spot at the point in time.

Should have been a nationwide red.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: lets keep on topic re Storm Jocelyn only, please use appropriate threads, do not clog this one up with the debate over warnings, there is Met Eireann thread for that discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Dont forget that Leitrim is between Sligo and Donegal too even if it’s only for a few miles.

Would it not be better utilising the first part of eircodes when it comes to warning areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

Ah they’d be fair soft in Sligo with Mayo and Donegal protecting them from the winds for years

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nothing like storm Isha but being mindful of the W and NW I presume that got a battering yesterday, repair crews will need to be very careful, the strongest winds will come in late afternoon into the evening .There must be a lot of weakened trees too that might only need lighter winds to topple them over.

After a brief lull in the winds overnight picking up again early morning with the frontal passage associated with Storm Jocelyn which itself will be tracking well off the NW, the center more towards Iceland than us but the strongest winds in the lower two quadrants glancing off us. Most of the rain coming through early in the day. I suspect some areas more over towards inland S, inland SE and midlands will get far less winds and may not reach Yellow criteria in places but again being careful after the damage caused yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭crusd

On the Orange warning for Galway, Mayo and Donegal and not for Sligo have people not noticed that the first 3 stick out a bit and the last one doesn't?

And have people never realised that the Orange warnings for Gawlay Mayo and Donegal are that areas in those counties should expect those conditions, not every location in those countries will

The areas experiencing orange conditions will likely be to the left of blue line shown. As some have said, putting out the warnings by eircode may give better granularity but if not in your own home would you really know if you were in F26 or F12 at any given moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

This is the obvious flaw in warnings at county level

there are towns with a border through the middle etc.

some counties are large etc.

they all have borders so the warnings are an issue in border areas where they are different. people may live in a red area but work in an orange or vice versa etc.

I suppose the limit of the warning has to be somewhere and most people understand county borders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭pauldry

This counties thing in a load shy t. Just say red level West and North. What's wrong with that?

• Advertisement

Sorry for posting a comment further up ( since deleted ) about red or not red warning. Apologies, as it is, as mentioned by mod @Meteorite58, derailing this thread.

So please lets keep this thread for the up and coming storm Joyceln and move over to the thread below to discuss what I said. I have moved what I said over there instead ( direct link to that post ):

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

Based on forecasts, expecting it to be less severe than yesterday here in Cork (just north of the city since it's a big county). Observing the conditions yesterday, I think orange was about right for what we got - the impact is on the high side of orange though with trees / branches down in the local area. Definitely wasn't red level.

Not expecting too much disruption locally due to Jocelyn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Plenty of trees down and I notice a good few are badly slanted and hanging on a by thread so tomorrow will be more impactful than normal for those wind speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭crusd

"I'm in Monaghan, in Ulster, which is the North, we had no wind"

"Why was Clare not included in warning, its Munster, which everyone knows is in the south of Ireland, but the warning was for the west"

The less specific you are the worse it gets

Sorry for posting a comment further up PAGE 1 ( since deleted ) about red or not red warning in certain places. Apologies, as it is, as mentioned by mod @Meteorite58, derailing this thread.

So please lets keep this thread for the up and coming storm Joyceln and move over to the thread below to discuss what I said. I have moved what I said over there instead ( direct link to that post ):

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭gipi

What is the likelihood of flight disruption on Wednesday as a result of Jocelyn? Due to fly to the UK from Dublin early on Wednesday morning (7am). I was so relieved I hadn't flown yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wonder will power be back before going out again on Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

Probably some disruption on Tuesday evening since it looks like there will be crosswinds that could impact landing craft for periods.

Any disruption on Wednesday morning more likely to be caused by aircraft being out of position than anything weather related. Some airlines will no doubt cancel both outbound and inbound flights for some craft on Tuesday evening so they can run as normal on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

ICON has it just about Orange in the very NW

GFS keeping the strongest winds out to the coastal areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah that definitely seems to the trend with this one. Large windfield though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Very seldom go on twitter but had to look at sryans chart. The bit hing and whingeing from the UK about naming storms that wouldn't take your hat off was unbelievable. I answered one about the amount of outages and the 3 deaths on the island and then exited stage left before the toxicity floored me. 😑

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

The latest GFS continues to show the strongest winds (90-110kmh gusts) from Jocelyn affecting Atlantic coastal counties of the west and northwest. The wind field is much less expensive than that of Isha.

Less windy conditions in the southeast. 

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Further power cuts may happen tomorrow but still 155,000 still without power and could take days for all to be restored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭JVince

Only 10 storms to go to finally have one named after myself 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,089 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

During the showers today we had some fairly strong gusts at times. I noticed one or two trees are slanted so perhaps if we had a gust of 50 mph tomorrow it might be enough to topple one of them. I remember one year a tree fell the day after a storm. It was a calm day. Someone had walked past the tree about five minutes before it fell.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 13 River22

I just came here to say something similar. When will Jocelyn hit the east coast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I wonder what happens if they run out of storm names? Do they add a few more then?

I don't know to be honest think they cross that bridge when they get to it ,we've gotten to m or n I think then after that it's a record amount I'll have to Google it now and I'll let ya know

11 is the most named in one season

• Advertisement
Advertisement