Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chainsaw for light work - electric or petrol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

4 to 5 inches diameter you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭cathy427

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Well that's chainsaw size definitely. As for electric vs petrol I'd say if it's for occasional use, you have an outside socket and can reach the work area easily enough with an extension lead then electric is easier and cleaner and quieter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

What about battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭cathy427

They seem to be a lot more expensive.

After that don't know in terms of cutting power or how long a charge would last. Most of them do seem to come with two batteries so could have one re charging when using other one.

If cutting power was ok then I suppose cost is main issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm not a fan of the battery concept for many of these as the batteries might only get occasional use and then stay in a state of low or full charge for an extended duration... you would be lucky to see past 3 or 4 years with some of the batteries out there. On the other hand, if you have other household tools such as drills and pumps using the same battery type, then it might work better for you, but the problem then is vendor lock-in or the battery type being retired.

I ended up needing a chainsaw for occasional use recently, I had a cheap electric/mains one which did me fine for around 7 years before it let the magic smoke out. I shopped around and purchased a mid-range Bosch one, but the warehouse couldn't find it in stock in the end and I ended up taking the only remaining option which was a Black and Decker. 🤨

Anyway, I showed the B&D wood last month and within 5 mins I had sparks coming off the motor/commutator. You can get it to work but it's really like a small dog - bark worse than its bite and needs rest-periods.

Anyway my point is that electric is probably better than petrol for occasional use as long as you can get the cable out to the work-site, otherwise think about batteries but bear in mind their limitations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

For light and definitely for occasional work, I'd recommend the electric option. Nothing more frustrating than trying to molly coddle a two-stroke engine that only gets used a few times a year, need a not-too-old mix of SP95+2.5% oil, and wants to be drained of same when you're finished - assuming you know that you're not going to need it again in the near future. I have two petrol chainsaws and an electric one. The electric has been getting all the action lately, and not just because of "petrol" issues, but also because it's quiet enough to use at any time of the night, and convenient to use indoors too (e.g. when the work is too much for a sabre saw).

As for battery versus corded: when faced with the choice, I decided it was far better to invest in 100m of heavy duty extension cable that'll power any electric motor of my choosing for the foreseeable future rather than pick a piece of garden equipment based primarily on whether or not it's battery was compatible with whatever other thing I might want to buy or use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Flipperdipper

If it's only for occasional light work why not consider an electric reciprocating saw ? It's far safer and cheaper than a chainsaw and you don't need the chainsaw trousers and boots. Although I have a chainsaw with all the safety gear and training I use the reciprocating saw for any light jobs close to the house. I've cut down small trees and branches up to about 8" dia with a cheap one that I got in ALDI. A bit slower than a chainsaw but a lot safer if you haven't got the training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

I have petrol and mains electric. I use the electric for everything except big felling jobs.

Quieter and easier and cheaper to run.

Don't use one without the safety gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
Advertisement