Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar battery & electric car

• 23-01-2024 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi, sorry if in wrong section and proberly asked before but couldn't find. Can anyone tell me if i can charge my solar battery and electric car at same time from the grid. Would I still get to charge the car at 7kw or would it reduce because house battery is charging. Have a solis inverter with a 5kw puredrive batt, zappi being installed on Friday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

I do it at cheap night rate ,no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yup, both will be fine, I do it most every night in the wintertime.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's what we all do! Charge battery on the cheapest tariff and discharge during most expensive, you are likely on 12kVa ESB supply so no issues whatsoever. I charge my battery at 1.8kW as I have Night Rate so no point in stressing it at high charge rate

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭tjalana

thanks for your replies,will i still be able to get 7 kw an hour into the car if charging the house battery as only have a 2 hour cheap rate and will the puredrive battery be able to charge full in that window.How would i stop the battery when full from charging the car or does the charge setting in the Zappi stop this.

hope this makes sense what i'm asking as i've very little knowledge of this.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GReid2005

The 7Kwh will depend on what EV you have, but if the charger in your car can handle 7Kwh then it will charge at that rate. Your battery charging will not be affected as your inverter will only be involved with battery charging as it converts the AC to DC, the Zappi will pull the AC directly from the grid.

I've never had an occassion where my the Zappi drew off my battery during a night charge, but I've a PHEV so not a big battery to charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭on_the_roots

What stops a battery from being discharged is the charging time window. If you set charging between 2am-4am then nothing is going to discharge your battery during this time.

If you have an EV you will certainly need more than just 2 hours to fully charge it. Set a longer charging window for the PV battery (2am-6am) so you have 4 hours charging for the EV battery fully from the grid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There is a setting on the Zappi to stop the car charging off batteries

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭tjalana

sorry ,just seen this,thank you

Advertisement