Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet waste into rainwater run off shore??

Options
  • 25-01-2024 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking at a house where the bathroom is at the very back of the house, and the bedrooms are at the front on the ground floor.

I am wondering if its possible to build an en-suite in the front bedroom, and drain the wastewater into the shore that the rain goes into via the rainwater pipe. I understand that you cant feed the waste directly into that run-off pipe but can you dig into the underground pipe and feed the toilet waste into that? Is that an expensive task?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Not a plumber but JFC no! Rain water is "grey water" and toilet waste is "black water". Sewage. They are two entirely different systems.

Do not, for the love of all that's holy, disgorge your pee and poop into the fecking rainwater system!

It's also probably highly illegal. And another reason why folk shouldn't DIY this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Dear God, No!!! How this can even be asked!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Absolutely not!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Put the ensuite on outside wall and simply run the toilet ppipe around and connect to system at the rear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Would you have the gradient? I've seen a system where the toilet has a macerator or something like that and a pump which discharges via a smaller diameter pipe to a soil stack pipe.

Ah you should. You can actually run the toilet pipe straight out through wall from back of toilet into soil and vent pipe externally and keep the pipe run as high as possible then to allow falls to rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

We don't have separate pipes in Ireland for sewage and rain water. It all goes into the sewage system to water treatment plant. Right ?

Some old developments on public sewers may have everything going into one pipe but certainly they should be seperate and when going to private septic tank, have to be kept apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭blackbox

It depends.

If the rainwater is directed to the sewerage system, then you should be ok. This may the case with older builds.

If they are separate systems you definitely should not direct toilets or washbasin waste to the rainwater system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'm still a bit confused. There is only one public pipe system in Ireland for sewage and rain water. I definitely don't think councils separate them and maintain separate networks.

We do have a rain collection barrel on one downpipe though. Probably should add more. Will do when the drought kicks in. 🐫

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Under building regulations and local bylaws each dwelling must have separate rainwater & sewage pipes.

All councils do indeed have two separate systems. Rainwater can go directly to the sea. Sewage obviously has to be treated at a treatment plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭standardg60

There are separate storm drains and sewers in developments from at least the seventies.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DonnieCorko

I checked and there isn't separate rainwater/foul drains in this location, so it does indeed flow into the same drains. However, the guy from DCC drainage department said that you can't do it to the rain water drain at the front of the property, it must be to the read, presumably for aesthetic reasons.

Just to clarify, grey water is what comes from sinks, washing machines, showers etc. and goes to the sewer with toilet waste.

Rainwater is generally referred to as just that, surface water or storm water.

If they're all the one then I wouldn't see an issue once the connection is done underground, no need for a vent pipe on the ground floor.

Advertisement