Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitre Saw Stand

• 26-01-2024 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have a garden shed which I have a mitre saw mounted on a Black and Decker work stand I find it is taking up far too much room in my shed when I go to do DIY projects. I am minded to go for a mitre stand for the saw. The difficulty I find is that I don't know what brand/type of stand to go for. I have only a budget type mitre saw. Would be grateful for any advice on the matter. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Grab the aldi protable saw stand comes with fittings you can bolt underneath and remove saw from stand if needed with clips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What brand is your mitre saw?

I wouldn’t be sticking an Aldi stand under a Festool Kapex 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I have the Lidl one and the titan one from Screwfix essentially they are the same. Screwfix has two different ones and one on offer atm again they are essentially the same, but I think the titan on is a little longer. The evolution one might be a little stronger both have legs which fold in underneath for storage and have quick release clamps for the saw fitting.

Both currently around 75-80 euro. I wouldn't spend the extra on the evolution if it was full price.

However I'm to lazy but do have a lot of room so leave the saw on the stand.

How they fold up

This bit comes off and stays attached to the saw

Wake me up when it's all over.

He literally said a budget saw.

How many people asking this question on boards have a Kapex ... ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Just spotted this thread on home page.

You have funny definition of a budget mitre saw.🤑

OP I would say use one of the Lidl/Aldi ones.

The Lidl ones are probably Einhell rebranded and the Aldis are probably Scheppach.

And if you want to spend more money there are also Evolution ones for sale in Woodies.

Probably cost as much as a Festool one seeing as it is Woodies.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

OP how are you currently mounting the mitre saw to your workmate?

When I used to use one a bit more I made up a plywood base for the tools I was using. I added a strip of wood under the plywood base of smaller items like bench grinder and used the jaws to grip the plywood base, on larger items like mitre saw I clamped the base on using the plastic grips.

So I can't see your need for another stand?

Those mitre saw stands still take up a lot of room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i would get the dewalt long stand. great stand. very robust and stores nice and small. i have seen cheaper ones and hated every one. too flimsy or fidly to set up. you can get all sorts of rollers etc for the ends and extra brackets to attach other tools to. i have brackets on my small thicnesser and it works great on the chop saw stand. i have tables and 'benchtops' that attach as well. very handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭2018na

I have one of these that has burnt out twice. First time was €650 to fix. Gone again with almost no use in 2 years. Brand new it was 110 volt. Got it changed to 220 and it burned again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,128 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Build it into a bench which can serve a dual purpose. Keeps floorspace free.

• Advertisement

Dewalt one is like 250 euro. You'd get that if your doing some professional jobs. It's most certainly not worth the premium for a diyer occasional use. Aldi is 50 euro.

i would say closer to 200. . i see your point but they are a way better stand. the few i have seen of the cheep ones they are a disaster compared to the dewalt. i have 2 long dewalts and a short one. i wouldn't go for anything else unless it was an upgrade. the next step up for me is the cut hub but that's 3k us dollars minimum.

something like these stands will last decades so its worth buying a good one that is sturdy and well designed. and you can add onto later.

OP is trying to upgrade from a flimsy piece of crap set up to a decent set up. the dewalt will do that no problem

Tbf he said he wants to go from b&d work station. To a stand. Not a premium setup. I'm a diyer but probably on the extreme end and the aldi one i got for 49.99 had had dogs abuse for 5 years. And it's the same sturdy as when I got it. Note it's not light though. So lugging it from van to site would be a pain. For general diy it can't be beat. Value.

Yes if i was doing nixers I'd probably ditch it for something aluminium to easy the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭The Reader

Hi ALL

Thank you for your kind and informative help I am deeply impressed. My mitre saw is one I bought in Lidl . I built my shed and cut every piece of timber with this saw in the build and its still going strong for me as a diyer. I know for the professional you would have to be focusing on a branded model.I am now going to source and check out all the stands mentioned in this thread . I also like Francie's idea with the build into the workbench. Thanks one and all for the advice.

Daft idea of the day ;-) In a small shed you can add to that by putting a hinged hatch in the the shed wall to extend the length of timber you can cut.

if you can go down the miter saw station built in set up it is the way to go . far better than any stand . but no use outside the workshop. there are some great designs on you tube etc.

If space is a premium, it's the versatility of a great level bench that makes it a winner. You can go simple set up or more advanced with built in storage.

Saw a guy who made a great one from old kitchen cabinets. Can't find it.

(19) mitre saw bench - YouTube

it really is a game changer . i would love one in my shop . hopefully this year i get it done. im planning on using tool chests for the cabinets so it will be pricey to build. but i need the storage for small stuff

Dust extraction central to any design

• Advertisement

you can put all the dust colection you want into a miter saw station and it will not make up for a badly designed saw.

i had conected my startrite 200mm pipe dust colecter in behind my dewalt 718 saw. that still didnt capture all the dust.

the dust colection has to start with the saw. im going to buy a better saw for my station when i do it. one with the sliding bars facing forward for space saving. those 8-10 inchs are huge in a small shop. probably makita or festool

Wouldn't be dewalt for me. Extractions always been very very poor. And the newer stuff is thrown together.

Advertisement