If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speakers and Receiver for Turntable

Options
  • 26-01-2024 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Returning customer here, and I'm in the market for a receiver and speakers to put with an AP-LP60XBT turntable that I was gifted. I'm currently eyeing up the Dali Spektor 2 speakers (at for the price differential they seem a worthwhile upgrade from the Spektor 1s?), and I see a bundle on your website for these speakers with a Yamaha receiver that seems like it would really fit the bill. The only catch is that the bundle is only listed with the black version of the speakers, where I'd really prefer the look of the walnut ones (and I think I just missed out on a clearance set of those in the last couple of weeks to boot, as they were listed but not purchasable, and then removed) for where I want to locate my setup, so I was just wondering if you had any flexibility to do something similar with walnut speakers instead?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,261 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Cython.

Many thanks for the post and for coming back to us.

The Spektor 2 are an excellent speaker and 5 star reviewed in What HiFi so a very good choice.

I can offer the same deal with the Light Walnut for you no problem.

Only other thing you may require is some speaker cable, like the QED 79 strand priced at €2.49 per meter.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Hi Kenny,

Many thanks for the quick reply, and great to hear your feedback and that you can match that offer on another colour speaker.

You're 100% correct that I'd be looking for speaker cable as well, but I've not measured up/finalised the layout I'm planning quite yet to know exactly how much, so I'll be adding that on before ordering for sure.

One other option/question presents itself for me as I've been looking around though, specifically as an alternative receiver/amp, the Sony STRDH190. It looks to me like by ordering in GBP I could get that and the same speakers for a very similar price (post conversion) to the aforementioned bundle. Reviews online of the two rate them similarly and subjectivity seems to come into picking a preference, so I'd be curious as to your take, if you'd rexommend one over the other? Obviously at that price point I'd never expect there to be a huge difference between any two models.

It seems to be that standalone the Yamaha is generally more expensive to purchase (though obviously more expensive is not objectively better), and it could be argued that paying for a preamp in the Sony when the TT has one on-board as well is a bit of a waste, but the smaller form factor of the Sony has its own appeal with flexibility of placement in mine, so I'm wondering am I missing anything else in trying to decide between them (or indeed any alternative suggestions)?

Hi Cython.

Thanks for coming back to me.

The Sony 190 is also a great stereo amp and normally retails at the same price as the Yamaha. We just have a special on them at the moment at the £199.95.

Both amps are 100 Watts, both have Bluetooth and Radio. The phono stage in the Sony is also good so you could even use the onboard one and switch the one in the turntable off.

If you went for the Sony with the Spektor 2, I could offer them together at £410.00 delivered.

Personally I would tend to sway towards the Sony option.

Thanks, @Richersounds.ie: Kenny, that's all great information, and very helpful.

I'd be very interested in the Sony with walnut Spektor 2s at that pricing, so how would we best go about that? Complete order over the phone, or go ahead with online order and refund a difference? Former would probably be the most straightforward, I imagine?

As mentioned I still need to measure up for cable (though I might just pick a number with headroom like 10m and go with that!), and I figure a cleaning kit is probably a worthwhile investment as well.

Hey Cython.

If you drop me your full name and address in a PM along with a contact number I can get the order onto our system and then give you a call to finalise things up.

• Advertisement

Hi @Richersounds.ie: Kenny,

Just wanted to reach out and say thanks for help on this, order arrived last week and while I've not yet had opportunity to set it all up, I'm looking forward to doing so in the near future!

Hey Cython.

Excellent that everything has arrived :)

Let me know once you are up and running and what you think.

Thanks again for the business we really do appreciate it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.