Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Coax (500/50) issues (dropping packets and/or connection)

Options
  • 27-01-2024 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I'm writing here, desperate, hoping that someone has had similar issues before, and could clue me (or virgin tech's) on what is going on.

Ever since I moved into the building(Dublin 2, Near Royal Victoria Hospital, Virgin seems to be the only option here), I've been having issues non-stop.

Namely, the connection starts dropping packets like mad, randomly. It seems impossible to predict when It will work fine, or when it won't work at all.

I've had 3 different routers, and about 4 technicians(from regular I just plug stuff in type of tech to level 2 line techs) try to do several things. All connections within the building seem fine and they are passing all of their usual tests.

Level 2 line tech found some faults on the line further away from the building, but he said he fixed everything, and at the time there was nothing faulty that he could see. The connection seemed fine for a day, and then issues arose again.

Some days, there will be 0 issues, but most days connection drops completely, or it just drops loads of packets and latency is all over the place.

I have a monitor set up on thinkbroadband, which very accurately reflects when I am having issues.

This happens regardless of router is in Modem mode or router mode.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/67d93520fe5addded77eb9afff9bcefe80b52989

Does anyone have any clue on what this could be and how to resolve this? I would jump ships if I could, but Virgin being the only option in the building(I'm renting) does not give me a whole lot of options...

I've been thinking about 5g broadband offers, but that would not suit my needs (ping-wise, and consistent).

Advertisement