Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport transfer

Options
  • 29-01-2024 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

We are going on first package sun holiday in about 20 yrs and are completely out of touch with how they work around transfers from the airport. Flying into Faro and staying in a hotel in Praia de Rocha. We can book a shuttle bus as part of our holiday booking for about €200 (family of 6 and kids are all over 13 ). Is this expensive? Is there a better and more economical way of getting there? Haven’t locked in flights yet so will either be arriving mid morning or else after midnight. All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Filling in general details on a randomly chosen transfer site, https://yellowfishtransfers.com/en/home

that price seems excessive if it is not return, even then it's pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Banzai600

i know faro, but not that Praia place. its an hrs drive from airport. 200e is good value imo, 6 bags and 6 ppl, and hrs drive.

we've used yellow fish transfers a couple of times while going to Lagos for portimao racetrack motorbike stuff - same area more or less where you are going. they were reliable and good.

drivers / companies use whatsapp everywhere now etc, worth pricing for private door to door transfer. they just get your details and flight number, so they know you're not delayed etc.

if you are there for 2 weeks , get a bus up to Lagos, great town and food etc. it can be busy but worth seeing. OR, stay around lagos or somewhere in between. There is a big beach in Lagos, beside the train station - worth a look.

Airbnb could turn up trumps for accommodation rather than a hotel, but depends what you're into.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Is it a return price, so €100 each way? You say shuttle "bus", so it's not just for your gang but includes other people to drop off also? I'd pay the extra for a private transfer in that case TBH.

I know it's a different country, but a relative and his wife use a private transfer from Malaga Airport down to Estepona, takes about 45-55 minutes and costs €90 each way. It's the same distance as your journey 74km. The company will go the toll route for an extra fiver. Just saying that for comparison, although Portugal can be a tad more expensive than Southern Spain I hear.

If you or anyone in the family uses FaceBook, search for a group in Praia da Rocha or any of the big resorts/towns nearby, ask them for recommendations for transfers and you'll get a better idea of price.

I must go to Portugal sometime soon. You've given me a nudge there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OP a package holiday is booked through a travel agent so are you booking flights etc yourselves? If its through an agent it usually includes transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

booking is through Love Holidays. So we can choose what flight time we want, how many bags we’re bringing, priority boarding if we want and then we can choose airport transfer or make our own way. It’s not included and they give different prices for public shuttle, private shuttle, taxi etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭plhealy2000

Have used yellowfish a few times and would recommend. We used this instead of included transfer that usually stop in multiple towns and hotels.

We used in 2022 to Alvor which is beyond Praia da Rocha and it cost €150 return for 8 people, 6 adults, a teen and a toddler.

They have a stand at the airport that you meet the driver at and they will sort pick up time for return trip based on flight times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

We've nearly always used Suntransfers when we've needed a transfer

Just did a quick check there for mid-July, 6 adults, 6 cases, return fare Faro-Albufeira-Faro is just over €100 for private 8 seater minibus

Advertisement