Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decentralised Heat Recovery

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Is your house reasonably airtight? Otherwise the HR bit is not really worth the bother.

I also understand these decentralised units work best in pairs such that when one is extracting the other is supplying but I have no practical experience of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭allinthehead

House isn't airtight no. My thinking here is that the passive vent lets cold air in straight down on top of us on our couch. I'm thinking one of these units would give us the ventilation required without the cold draught.

☀️

I see, seems logical enough.

If you do go ahead with it, would you mind posting how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wimpybeaver

Would also love to know how you get on as I was considering similar for the same reasons and are you planning on chasing walls for the power supply to where your vent is?

If anyone knows would something like this be taken into consideration for a BER rating that would be useful too. I only care about the BER for getting a cheaper mortgage rate.

• Advertisement

Timber frame so hopefully I can run a cable from a nearby socket without doing too much damage🤠

☀️

@allinthehead .... timber frame and not air tight ... have you had or would you consider having the house tested for air leakage? ... there might be some easy wins depending which could make a big difference to your comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭Eleusis

I disagree that HRV only works or is even worthwhile in airtight houses. This is a misconception IMO. They can only be an improvement no matter the air tightness. Especially in place of a vent. I had a centralised one on my old house 150 old cottage with roof built in 70's with 50mm polystyrene so it was a leaky as any house could be. It improved air quality, removed mold and made the house easier to heat.

Can't speak on a non centralised one, but can only be an improvement over a vent.

Never considered it tbh. I have a thermal imaging camera which I've used to identify cold areas.

I think it should help in theory. Worth a try anyway.

☀️

This is why I want to do something with it.

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Any updates?- anyone fit one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

Not on the unit itself but the supplier in question has left a bitter taste in my mouth after buying an mvhr kit off them. Basically told to eff off when I went back to them regarding a warranty issue. Redirected me to the manufacturer saying they no longer had a relationship with them. As consumer law goes not sure where I stand with them being in a different jurisdiction.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Generally warranty is normally with the manufacturer, not the retailer. But I dont know where that sits in consumer law either.

Advertisement