Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is begging on the street illegal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i have no issue with people who want to genuinly do good in the world, what "doo gooder" meaning is, reffers to people who only do things to be seen by others as good but with no genuine interest in actually helping, like taking a selfie with a homeless person for their instagram feed and then walking off afterwards etc. virtue signalling in a way, or posting a ukraine flag as your profile pic

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

i appreciate your feedback and kind words. How much are you being paid to work in homeless services btw?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You really want me to post my salary?

It’s enough for me to run a second home in Florida and pay for my cruisers berthing in Monaco.

Thanks my friend, i got all the confirmation i needed to know you was'nt doing it for free. No need to post your salary its all good <3 the scutter part was ironic and rich though. nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I suggest you adopt a different phrase then. "do gooder" has been taken and has been in use for a long, long time.

It simply chastises and attempts to poke fun out of people giving a damn about what's done to others.

No one using that term has ever before implied or suggested it as a self publicity stunt.

Taking a publicity piccy with the destitute is hardly doing good is it? I f you want to use misleading words than can mean just about anything, why dont you use woke instead? That seems to be the most popular route to nebulous uncertainty and is unlikely to be challenged.

your initial reply to me was "i can't disagree with you" , then in a different reply go on to call my post garbage and ask "You surely didn't expect a rational discussion?"

what gives? where is no rationale? like i said i have no problem with people who actually intend to do some actual good in the world. There's a difference between being a poser and actually helping

Could you elaborate on this sentence?

“This country lacks genuine homeless people”

Im a bit lost on this description.

yes i can and i'm willing to, if you reply to my comment replying to you, and not my response replying to someone else.

• Advertisement

when you clicked quote reply, you quoted my response towards someone else, instead of my response towards you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Living in Dublin 8 and there are now a few bums sitting outside the local shops. This is a new phenomenon that's started over the last few months...

This country lacks genuine homeless people.

what’s that mean ?

it means there's far too many people are who professional beggers, conmen, and addicts, who claim money from the government and have a place to sleep every night. as opposed to real actual homeless people without a bed to sleep in and without a source of income/assistance.

a person who is using the money to send overseas, or to feed their addiction, is'nt a genuine homeless, but rather a masquerade for that sweet free monies!

Why not see what can be done by the council?

I never had a good impression of Brtish councils but the council near to me in the UK had an initiative a while back of using a few tens of thousands to try to home the rough sleepers.

I don't know what happened, but it seemed more productive than stepping over them and whingeing, which is the normal response.

From the local papers write up it was not a vote winner at all.

The hard of thinking love to adopt the blame culture and imply that a bit of work and motivation is what separates the poor and homeless from the glorious benefits of modern UK life.

It's not an uncommon diagnosis for poor peoples ills in Britain and was used with a lot of enthusiasm here in Ireland by the British who had similar notions that work cured all ills, typhus and malnutrition needing intensive doses of course despite all that fresh air that cottage roof removal provided.

Maybe it's time to take the trouble to find out what the problem is from people that are looking for handouts?

I never actually asked a beggar why he was in need. I guess a hearing might be worth a try, you never know, you might find the one, single, deserving case in the whole of Ireland. Now wouldn't that be a nice feelgood factor?

A few English writers actually tried being homeless and destitude for periods and wrote it up, it really is interesting and gave an insight into what it meant to be poor and homeless without applying judgement.

Orwells "Down and Out in Paris and London" was another book of note as well as A Clergyman's Daughter.

They portray a view of life seen from the perspective of those with little or nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

People should be donating money directly to charities like the Simon community instead of giving money directly to beggars.

At least you know the money is doing some good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭thereiver

some people sleep outside because they don,t want to stay in a hostel, i dont think its true that all homeless people use drugs or all beggars use drugs.most homeless people do not beg, its ridiculous to say we should not have charitys or soup kitchens just because some homeless people use drugs. one person can only get a limited amount of free clothes .i think a homeless person is someone who cannot find rental accomodation or afford to pay rent .most people who live in hostels are not drug addicts or drug users .

we have a housing crisis ,even people working full time can find it hard to find a place to rent

yes, genuine people who had jobs or came into unfortunate times deserve food, clothes and everything else. i've helped some genuine homeless people turn their life around and am proud of it.

Then there are others where no matter how much money you give them and how much help, it never makes a difference because they choose not to turn their life around regardless of the help you give them. Some people intentionally game the system and exploit the kindness and charity of others. i'm not saying close food kitchens or clothing banks, all i'm trying to point out is that some know where to go to exploit it and go doing daily rounds.

i'm not here to insult people who use hostels, i was making a point about what i've experienced.

Yes but giving stuff away does not satisfy the moral righteousness that is so good, healthy and beneficial to the peasantry, as found by the fine upstanding citizens next door.

Think of our ancestors, what kind of message would it send to them if they were given free food. When you look back and see the glorious honour in dying by the roadside having gasped your last trying to break a few boulders, how can you possibly justify encouraging sloth in people who are in a position of homelessness through mismanagement of their labour and funds.

We should thank the contributors here for learning the lessons of history and using them for the benefit of those who could easily fall into the trap of idleness.

Drugs are not the taboo that many like to think either, providing Oriental looking types with opium has been proven to be very beneficial also.

I do tend to think that those that came before me and fashioned my country into what it is today, so many who were not even able to stay to see how it threw away the chains of bondage, would like to have a bit of an input into how to treat those with nothing.

How did you help homeless people turn their life around ?

By giving them money, clean clothes, a place to sleep, and finding them work and actively checking in with them everyday making sure everything was going good and seeing if they needed anything. Moral support too, and helping them get back in contact with their family.

i could list a bunch more but i don't want to brag already more than i have lmao.

Those were willing, genuine, and did'nt squander the money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve no real issue with someone sitting / standing holding out a cup.. “ any spare change please? “ unless it’s beside an ATM, those people they can 🖕🏻…. But people approaching you in an aggressive manner or manner designed to startle you or catch you unawares or off guard can get bent….

for that reason and more I’ve stopped giving so much as a millisecond of eye contact to them… I donate money once annually to the set up in church St that feed, clothe and provide help, medical, social etc to genuine homeless people…. That’s my bit… done….

Unless they cause trouble or break the rules most homeless people can get a Shared room in a hotel. Theres places to go to get free food and clothes. People in hostels have social workers to help them with any issues they have . Why do you presume they are not in contact with their family .

I don't give them money as I don't want to give money to someone to buy drink cigarettes etc most homeless people live in hostels there's places to go if anyone needs advice or support there's many charitys that are designed to help homeless people eg anna livia

People in hostels range from 18 to 75 years of age

A shared room?

That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Personally I could imagine nothing worse than sharing a room. A park bench would be a more comfortable setting.

I left a job once through not having my own space and paid for a ferry trip rather than use the double cabin booked by my company.

Why is it so bad if people use charity for cigarettes and booze?

Nicotine provides comfort to an addict as does a room and bed, but why is it important to decide what is acceptable as far as comfort is delivered?

Booze in fact might even be a saviour to someone starting withdrawal.

Such a shame, sometimes I think that the donation of a bit of cash is done with the "mommy knows best" approach.

I know "beggars can't be choosers", but I think that helping people needs a bit of outside the box thinking sometimes.

I wonder why the drink, gambling and tobacco industries don't maybe put something back that people have lost through the use of their products.

Excellent, assessed as in need of housing too and contact made with local authorities in regards to being homeless?

A lot of Lidl branches in the UK had people sitting by the door after money.

I guess it was shop policy not to move them on.

Fine really, I don't know if they were actual bums or not, they may have offered to assist with the shopping for all I knew. I never spoke or gave to any, but in the branches local to my works it was the same people.

Lidl have a policy of helping people in need as I found when I was trying to buy their overripe bananas for my quackers.

My quackers were not deemed a needy cause!

This presence of one or at most two outside Lidl has been common in Britain for over four years to my knowledge.

My last stop on route to BHX was the Lidl by the private car park, I used to stock up as the plane touched down in Cork after 11.00pm.

It was always the same youngish male.

Frankly he looked pretty well capable of some kind of work, but I didn't ask or give.

I never noticed it outside other premises.

The only real time I found begging troublesome was on the Tralee Dublin train years back. There was a frequent traveller, oldish very portly and with a ready sob story about being broke and going to a funeral.

I didn't report him but on one occasion the ticket collector asked me if he approached me for money. The abuse after the ticket collector found him was not pleasant at all.

I think pensioners get free travel, maybe it's a common thing with some to go for a captive load of punters. They no doubt got the idea of robbing the travelling public from the charges for refreshments.

Did you think hostels have one room for each person ,?

Hostels are emergency accomodation not luxury hotels .we are in a housing crisis .every week people arrive in Ireland mostly from the eu looking for accomodation

You'd prefer to sleep on a park bench than a warm room in a bed

each room has a bathroom with a shower

Most people who post on this forum have never been inside a hostel

Lots of STA and LTA provide single rooms.Bathrooms and showers are shared.

That's nice to know.

The attitude of some is quite staggering, it brings to mind the chastisement the mother had from St Vincent De Paul in "Angelas Ashes", when she had the audacity to ask if the bed she was being given my have been slept in by someone with consumption.

I doubt many in shared accommodation given charitably are willing to declare ilness or mental conditions prior to sharing a room and the very fact that someone is homeless is an indication of a higher likelihood of mental problems.

A park bench has no walls and you can choose your company freely if there is any about of course.

Why would you give 10 euro to a beggar, maybe I'd give one euro max. There's no one pretending to be homeless. .we have a housing crisis ,rising rents

People are being evicted as landlords sell up and retire there's more homeless than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There certainly are people begging who have homes. There is a Roma family living in a an estate near me and I see them begging in town and at local shops

• Advertisement

Most people are homeless because they cannot find affordable private rental accomodation .parks are not designed for people to sleep in .if you go around Dublin you ,ll see 100s of boarded up council flats

afford, or kicked out due to means beyond their control, or means within their control but choosing to be anti-social. it can also come down to things like lifestyle choice and if they actually want to improve their life or not. will, determination. there's many factors.

Could be a person with a job that lost their job and couldnt afford the morgage, or could be some addict that simply does'nt care about anything other than getting their next fix. Most of the time thats what it is, or people sending money away. There's an insane number of fake homeless. or people claiming to be homeless but then never sleep where they beg after the days begging is done. Some even use props like fake crutches and meet the others off the bus or whatever, and pass the props then for them to use.

Too much dishonesty when it comes to charity, and people not needing the help putting the hand out. i have nothing against helping others, but some people you can give all the help in the world possible to, and still make no difference. Some only want money, either for an addiction, or to send to another country. And that in my opinion is very dishonest. And the majority of beggers get free money from government too. it's not like they're out begging because they have no where else to go. its sad to say but alot of times its because they choose to, or are put up to it, or because they choose their addiction an addiction over everything else. There's even professional beggers.

Like a community crutch ? That’s passed over at the end of each shift ?

yeah something like that i guess, idk. But being used as a prop anyway. it's usually a quick "ahh whats the story, something something something" followed by a passing of a ciggertte box or some small object or something wrapped up, and then followed by "ahh good man yourself, i'll bring around later after i get it for ya" then they part ways

I have never seen anyone using props for begging , apart from a cardboardsign , eg i need money to buy a meal, people beg near shops, anywhere where this is a high level of traffic. i don,t know what a lta or sta is , every building is different ,

i think most people who live in hostels do not have acess to a single non shared room,

most hostels don,t have public signs, they are usually large buildings ,2 or 3 at least. i dont think i,ve ever seen a non irish person begging .many people who live in hostels are working full time .

my advice is don,t give over 1 euro to anyone as there,s no way of knowing what its going to be used for ,eg to buy beer,cigarettes etc

the fact that someone is homeless simply means they cannot find private rental accomodation they can afford

I work in homeless services , more and more hostels provide single rooms.

i have question for you: if the homeless problem got solved and there was became no more homeless in ireland, would you be out of a job? or is it based on being there regardless, just incase any more people become homeless, in that circumstance?

its a very noble job, to help people in need

There are times when you feel the need to make yourself superfluous.

It was my aim throughout my career to make most of my work, the type involving repai, upgrade and correcting others mistakes a thing of history.

I did everything I could, training, reports, explanations even the offer to write work instructions. I failed.

Like most medical workers, I'm sure many professionals wish that their job didn't exist and that is despite a love for and dedication to the work.

No , I’m a social care worker regardless, I’d still find employment.I’ve also had a previous career that I can return to.

Social care workers aren’t limited to homeless services.

• Advertisement

Every city in Europe has homeless people every city has beggars for instance when someone dies the house is sold some family members may end up homeless Dublin is one of the most expensive places for single people to live as regards rental expenses. Social workers help people who have various issues not just finding accomodation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Homelessness and addiction are often intertwined

Doesn't make them any less homeless

indeed! and its often down to the individuals choice, do they wanna get back on the horse and change their life around? or do wanna enjoy the sweet highs they get and remain addicts for the rest of their lives without a care for whatever happens as a result of this selfish self-centered choice?

i have every bit of compassion for a genuine homeless person, or for anyone actually who wishes to turn their life around and is serious about it.

i'd rather help turn ones life around, than help feed ones addiction any day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Addicts are genuinely homeless

You seem opinionated as regards addicts tbh

yeah because they're kicked out due to their addiction, but are you telling me all addcits don't live in homes? never heard of a crack house?

There's some addicts who actually live in houses from the HAP scheme, but go out everyday to beg, get the bus and come home with a bed to sleep in and a roof over their head after a hard days work of pretending to be homeless

if any addict would like to turn their life around for the better, i would happily support that 100%, infact even if they are not addicts i'd still help. Them being an addict has nothing to do with it, therefore i'm not being opinionated against addicts. i just know too much about them, thats all.

I think you should have look at the origin of why people become addicts , are they self medicating for trauma or mental I’ll health , is it exposure via family as in it’s seen as okay , is the area they grew up in , lack of family bond and so on.

Not one addict ever set out to become an addict .

• Advertisement

i do look at the origin, infact i take an interest and ask them. of course there's many different possible reasons.

i'm not really sure what argument you're making.

as a professional and paid person who deals with homeless people, are there certain things your job prevents/does'nt allow you to do? in regards to homeless people

Maybe the "sweet free money" is doing a better service satiating an addicts craving or helping a family abroad to survive instead of being wasted on some pile of worthless dross that kept a marketing department that might have been employed usefully, churning out unwanted adverts that numb the mind more effectively than the addicts fix.

Giving to the beggars in that case is a win, win. The more worthless the rubbish sold, the more resources are needed to dress it up to look, feel or smell desirable thus destroying the planet in the process.

Instead of driving to work to make and advertise tarted up soap products and food, advertisers could get digging and do some useful work instead of assaulting the public with their inane messages.

The grateful public would have more money for beggars, a nicer planet that might be around for the grand kids and the chance that some of the unwatchable junk on RTE is actually not too bad when uninterrupted by "the rattling of the stick in the swill bucket".

like things you are specifically not allowed to do, or get involved in, or just anything in general that your job does'nt allow you to do. Anything your job stops you from doing, regarding the homeless/homeless people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

organised begging in the Main Street of Gorey is an issue , one man on one side of the street and a woman on the other both of Roma origin , cardboard Sign “lm hungry, god bless”. A total scam kept going by the well intentioned but naive people who give them money. Now druggies also lying on the street and in doorways, openly urinating in the daytime in shop doors. Gardai either powerless or unwilling to deal with this

• Advertisement
Advertisement