Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartmant leak

Options
  • 30-01-2024 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi guys ,

So im on the top floor in an aparmant complex and my washing maching has been leaking water.I suspect ill be getting a call from my neighbour below with regards to water damage to his roof.

So im looking for advice on how to deal with this.I accept responsibility for what happened but asside for paying for the machine repairs i cant afford to pay for any repairs my neighbour may need done to his ceiling.where do i stand with block insurance?

My machine may be faulty butits poosible their could be issues with blocked pipes which cause my machine to act up so it may not be entirely down to me.As i said im broke and simply dont have the money to hand over for repairs to ceilings can the block insurance help me out.

Any advice would be welcome guys rhank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

My washing machine flooded my apartment and leaked into the apartment below. My home insurance covered the cost of replacement carpet for me and a small sum for the apartment below to cover damage to some clothing. The cause was a blocked valve on my washing machine.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ddub11

Hi thanks for the reply,i have a question with regards to insurance if ye dont mind.The only insurance i have is the block insurnace do you think i could go down that road?

Also you say home insurance,could tell me is this a seperate private insurance policy you took out on your home and was in case of incidents like this?

Their probable silly questions but for me money is so tight i have never bothering to get any more insurance apart from what i pay in my managmant fees and up to now i could never really see the point of added insurance as there is liitle to no value in my apartmant,again thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Typically block insurance covers common areas and external structures, anything inside your door is your property so you need private home insurance to protect it. If the source of the leak is your washing machine, as assessor will be able to locate it and is unlikely to cover the costs on the block policy for damage below.

Out of interest, isn’t insurance a condition of your mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ddub11

Hi,

To be honest im not sure about the insurance on my mortgage would cover,looks like ill have to dig deeper with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

Have had a lot of problems with leaks in my apartment. One time it was coming from up above me from a shower. In that instance the owner paid for damages. Management company didn't deal with it.

Have leaks now at the moment but they are coming in from outside so they are dealing with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If money is that tight you need to contact MABS.

As a homeowner you need to insure your contents and property. You may think there's nothing of value, but uour clothing, kitchenware, appliances, flooring and window coverings all add up to quite a lot.

You should also have a "rainy day fund" for things like this.

Advertisement