Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduce banking fees

• 30-01-2024 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭

I'm currently with Ptsb. What banks offer the best rates on fees for current accounts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Literally received a letter from PTSB this morning that the fixed Current Account Maintenance Fee for the Explore Account is going up from €6 a month to €8 a month from 1st April, and the spend and save rewards for using your card, are reducing from 10c per transaction, to 5c per transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

It's too much for me so I plan to move.

What is your view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,881 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They all have fees except EBS. More people are shifting online to Revolut Bunq N26, whilst maintaining a physical basic deposit account that has no fees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭feelings

PTSB were quick to go from free banking (with conditions) to 8 EUR/month. Only a matter of months? The rest will follow that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,881 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its fine if you think banking features from 20 years ago are still passable in 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I think an increase was inevitable at some stage, as its been at €6 for a while now.

I'm not going to go to the bother of switching for the sake of €2 a month, and I still expect I will receive the full €5 in rewards, so net cost will only be €3 a month to me, so I'll stay put for now.

I'm not sure of any cheaper options out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

I have a PTSB current account, but only because I wanted the saving account.

I use Revolut for nearly everything else.

Going to switch to AIB I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Download your transactions, get all the transaction types, and do a few sumifs to figure out how many of each you generally do in a month. Use this data to figure out which bank account is most suited to your usage. Choose whichever meta your requirements of cost and service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Buffman

There's nothing stopping you having accounts with multiple organisations.

EBS Money manager (their current account) along with Revolut/N26/etc are all free. (AFAIK you do have to pay postage on the physical cards with Rev/N26)

Ye, EBS don't have a banking app so you have to use an internet browser on the phone, no big deal. If it helps them keep costs low for a free account, I'm all for it. They do have an account authentication app and card manager app.

Then just use Revoult/N26/whatever for easier and more secure online purchases with virtual cards that you can freeze/unfreeze instantly.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭lau1247

I think there is a drop of the reward too mentioned over at AAM.

"However, the cashback payment is going from 10c per transaction to 5c per transaction from the beginning of April."

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Advertisement