Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on the Soccer forum (in particular the ROI thread) - why it is flat IMO

• 30-01-2024 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭

I read the soccer feedback thread back in June (since closed). I was really taken aback by the positivity of the moderation (given my experiences in the ROI thread). The only hint that was given that the moderation has been excessive is that the soccer forum is now "flat".

In other words that there is little (traffic) or craic in it all all, the craic has been sucked out of it.

There is much more craic on the GAA threads which I frequent even if specific county ones can be very parochial.

To me there is a very clear reason above many others why the soccer forum is flat - the moderation. It is too draconian (ROI thread I am looking at you) , there is no discussion prior to a reprimand. It is fundamentalist in it's ethos. Which has lead to a very flat, but occasionally informative thread.

A simple word like "deluded" not even referring a single poster can lead to a straight yellow for instance, zero discussion, zero warning prior to reprimand. So then when posting it feels like how the UN secretary general must feel in drafting a statement where there is the slightest area of disagreement on the world stage. Utmost care must be given.

From what I have read the ROI thread now seems driven by about 10 posters, down from a peak of about 20-30 in my estimation. Who must all be excellent at choosing their words carefully, and probably should consider occupations in the diplomatic corps, to survive this long in the ROI thread.

A three strikes and you are out rule for the slightest thing that would not cause any real offence in not only "the real world" but in many other sports threads on this site, and the culture in the ROI thread in particular seems to be no warning, no explanation gone. It is way over the top.

You want to know why the forum is "flat"? There is the major answer to the problem, really tight draconian level of moderation. No discussion as to why, no warning to cool the jets or edit a post (that you would get in vast majority of other forums) - nothing.

Probably levels not seen since "criminals" used to be sent to Australia for the slightest transgression for hard labour in the likes of Van Diemen's Land (Now Tasmania) but at least they had a trial!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Post edited by Spear on

Advertisement