Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My honest opinion about Ireland as the immigrant I am

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭thereiver

Gen z is right about housing. Tents are very high versus even ,10 years ago. They have a choice pay high rent to share a house or stay at home with their parents and try and save for a deposit for a ridiculously expensive house

People are refusing job offers in Dublin as they can't afford the high rent

Thats due to Ticketmaster ticket prices are very high for any big name popular singer like Taylor swift

Theres more people who want tickets than the no of tickets for sale

It seems every generation looks down on young people as being feckless or irresponsible

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭yoke

Based on what they wrote, I'm pretty sure the OP is not Spanish, and not an immigrant in Ireland.

None of the Spanish immigrants I've known would share those views, and being honest it would be very difficult for a Spanish immigrant in Ireland working in a high demand sector to cross circles with "people who has fled their country in which it was a matter of time for them to get k1ll3d because of their politics opinion or hunger".

And immigrants to any country don't get **** for free - "Just because they don't get all they want for free." - there is no way a legit Spanish immigrant to Ireland would not know the difference between an ordinary immigrant and an asylum seeker.

Reported for being a shill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Myself not being Irish and having lived in Ireland, what really scared me is the lack of and sometimes total absence of security like police or military.

It was only after those riots in Dublin that I saw more police / Garda around.

I also have the impression that police and military in Ireland are chronically underfunded, and if push came to shove the politicians would hope and pray that the "evil English" or the "far away Americans" would come to the rescue.

Also, the Irish attitude about that subject bothered me often ( NATO membership is out of the question for a large majority and even a well funded neutral military, a decent air force is also out of question), who would attack us militarily is often handled the same as who would burgle my place, but burglars are sadly more common.

Like by comparison I always enjoyed if a major event in London, lot's of people around, lot's of possible attack points for criminals / terrorists and other scum, had a secure feeling about it, as I saw police, dog units around, etc…even NHS paramedics on site sometimes. Even security / military with military style rifles are a common sight on many airports, - not in Ireland.

Many things are more felt, and more impressions of somebody, but overall, Ireland never seemed like a secure and reliable place to live for me. In all the places I've lived in, I've often felt that if I was burgled or something happened to me the chances of getting real decent help and support were far less in Ireland than in other EU countries or the UK.

The same goes for health services. Even though the NHS in the UK has many shortcomings, I've often felt in better hands with the NHS than with the HSE in Ireland.

But on the positive, it always felt like a place to make friends easier, talk to people easier, it seems more a country for families, and a general child friendly society. Public schooling also seems better in Ireland than in the UK and many EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 skarman11

Estás flipando. La ignorancia es muy atrevida y tu mensaje lo demuestra. Pero cada cual que se crea lo que considere.

Spanish enough, buddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ireland gave €3.6bn net contribution to the EU last year. And billions since 2013. They'll take far, far more from us than they ever gave to us. We would have succeeded as a small open economy regardless like other small open economies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Is it because of the fines of having lower corporate taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Its because EU contributions are based on our GDP, and we are on paper a high GDP country

Because of corporate tax

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

People don't dislike immigrants, they dislike low class immigrants. You see Irish people have developed into snobs despite their own bleak peasant past.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Emblematic

By "high class" do you mean immigrants with skills of value to the country? If so, is it not reasonable to wish to continue having these immigrants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Errr… Nein?

My German is terrible. And there's a lot of stuff around paperwork that's annoying. But in general I like it. It's a nice place.

Ze Germans will make you talk, - still, but nowadays in a nice atmosphere in the beer garden. Fraeuleins will be serving the beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Is the OP suggesting that Ireland isn't a fascist hellscape?

Obvious troll.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Ze Germans will make you talk …english.

It's something a lot of expats complain about. You try speaking Germans, they see your difficulty and they switch to english. It's actually very hard to practice german here.

They say something similar about the Netherlands. Even more, even Dutch government websites seem to have an English version as well.

I'd add that British, specially English people tend to correct and even mock the other speaker's pronuntiation.

In France, they won't even understand you if your French pronuntiation isn't perfect. Other than that, maybe this map makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

That map does not take into account which of the 2 official languages of the country that are reacting to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

It tries poorly. Honestly the difference between English and Irish is representative of the page. It is not an issue with the people of the countries it is the accessibility of the language. So you an Italian speaks English as 2nd of 3rd Language, its kind of "meh". The same with an English person speaking German as 2nd. But a Spaniard speaking Czech thats quite interesting. A Czech speaking Irish now that is a can of worms that requires opening and one that I have come across.

Advertisement