Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2024 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

fear of the unkown. I bought mine on PCP witH the intention of getting a new one in 3 years as technology moved on.

Depreciation wasn’t a factor as I got

A good deal that many repayments were cheaper than monthly running costs for

My ICE.

Warranties are worth F all , VW only offer a 70% warranty. So allowing a massive 30% loss in 7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭pah

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭sk8board

I’d say they already thought they were doing that by going to 8yrs - most EV drivers aren’t doing 20,000km pa

• Advertisement

EV have never been less unknown than ever before. I don't think thats it. Unless we mean the "unknown" as in the fud being fed to the people who won't do their own research.

I think part of the issue is theres no incentive not to buy diesel never mind petrol.

I had some one claim today they get better mileage with their mild hybrid than their previous diesel. That they can drive for a few days on battery. The size of their battery? 1Kwh. I gave up at that point.

battery loss.
    So VW only will replace a 77KWH battery if it falls to 59kwh

If the manufacturers want to keep selling EVs they'll have improve how they repair and warranty them.

Because they won't be able to counter the fud any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭fits

they are also reaping what they sowed with the crazy price hikes preceding the drops and the ‘massive EV depreciation’.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

In my opinion, yea. I bought a new EV in 2022 and added a 2 year old used one in 2024 because I was happy the technology is for me.

My first one has over 30k KMs on it and the range is as good as ever, not seeing any degradation in my day to day driving. The used one I'm not sure, I only have it a few months but seems fine too.

If that continues I should be able to have a 6 year old or so EV with 100k KMs and close to full range hopefully. But time will tell

• Advertisement

May was very much ‘as you were’ in March and April, EV sales down 40% year on year in each of the past 3 months. Down 22% year on year, while non EV sales are +11% in 2024.

This data below is for EV only, ‘24 v ‘23

some of the early EV marques like Ford, Honda, Mazda, Jag, etc are effectively zero sales in 2024. A narrow offering of older models in each case.

only MG and Volvo made gains, of the marques who were in the market last year. BYD the obvious big winner this year

2024 sales by model:

the large price drops on the model Y and the ID4 make the huge year on year sales drops all the more surprising perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭LubaDriver

Yes but any battery that's not been abused will not see that kind of wear. Far more important when it comes to the battery is that VW will carry out repairs under warranty for battery errors.

The problem is that getting battery errors is not unheard of (I had a module replaced last month), and those kinds of repairs spook potential buyers of used cars.

I'll be moving mine on before I hit 100k km as the end of the battery warranty will be on the horizon for any buyer after that. Once you pass that threshold, it would be easier to sell nuclear waste tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

For some reason the VW have been suffering from the battery module faults and degradation more than any other recent EVs. It's not typical among the modern cars and it's really unfortunate Irish happen to love this brand so dearly. Another crazy VW specific issue is the self unloading passenger compartment feature which also doesn't fill potential buyers with confidence on these cars. The final nail in the coffin is the lack of confidence on the drivetrain components which are not warranted like the battery but just for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It may be time for Europe to leave VW to the Germans in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Self unloading passenger feature, is that an optional extra 🤣

Hadn't heard about that until someone asked on a Forum and tonnes of people replied that they also had this bonus feature 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭LubaDriver

All the drive train components are expensive to replace should anything go wrong. And as for the battery, if you develop a module fault outside of warranty you are looking at a 3k repair bill with absolutely no guarantee you won't be back in a few weeks time for the same fault again in another of the 11 other modules.

VW really has a terrible warranty, battery should only be limited by time or 250k kms. Drive train and high voltage electrical system should be 5 years minimum with the option to extend. In fact if they let me buy that option after 3 years I'd be happy enough.

If they had confidence in their own products they'd offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Well, the writing has been on the wall for years - it's impossible to meet the gov 2030 EV goal even with the growth that's been happening over the last several years. That was obvious 5 years ago. You can easily create a model to predict how much growth you would need to hit a specific number of EVs in 2030. If the gov wants to deliver on that goal then any sort of dipping isn't welcome. They would want to see an acceleration rather than a slowdown. I think that's what John Mullins is trying to say.

Whether encouraging the buildout of more infrastructure is the right policy is debatable though. My counterargument for that is how it can be done through a market solution. Why would a private operator expand the supply if there is no matching demand? Someone (i.e. the gov) will need to "pay" the operator to incur losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

And that's before the EU tariff on Chinese EVs.

This collapse was expected due to:
    - Moving to the early majority on the adoption curve - it's more difficult to convince these vs early adopters
    - Weak gov policy
    - Anti-EV campaign from all sides (fossil, Big Auto, local interests, clickbait media)
    - Price parity not achieved

To the Irish gov which did very little for the adoption and to people who jumped on the anti-EV FUD - Mr Putin and OPEC Sheiks thank you for your contribution to their business 🙌😎

• Registered Users Posts: 10,355 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What a ridiculous post!
    So I’m making Mr putin and the OPEC bosses happy because I don’t have the money to buy an EV that suits my usage?! Am I understanding that post correctly, because if I am it’s out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

With the looming penalties for breaching the agreed CO2 emission limits you'll be paying one way or the other by 2030 I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,355 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

something tells me I won’t be paying as much as if I had to pay for an EV that suits my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

Post edited by denismc on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

We have just been through a litany of issues with batteries and other VW EV faults so there is no need for this - if the cars were better (and cheaper and stronger residuals) they would be selling more strongly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭creedp

While I'm not disagreeing with you and would be slow to pay big money for an out of warranty EV battery until the non dealer ev battery repair market is more established, it just shows that its not just FUD from the media/non EV owners but also caution from experienced EV owners that makes people worried about switching to EVs.

A lot of people will be slow to make the switch to new EVs and especially higher priced used EVs until the used market has gotten over its fear of buying out of warranty EVs

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I didn't think you were in the market for any brand-new car, the people not buying an EV today will be part of the reason there aren't as many used EVs available in the future at the price ranges you find acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭creedp

Edit - response to @McGiver post above. Quote function one again not working.

They should consider the arrangement they have with toll operators, where they guarantee minimum revenues to protect from lower than predicted traffic levels. It seems strange to me that they have no issue supporting toll operators but not public charger operators. As usual priorities are arse over elbow

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Really surprised there hasn't been talk of introducing a new scrappage scheme. They could target pre-Euro 6 petrols and diesels, provide VRT relief on the purchase of a new car. The relief could be on a sliding scale based on the CO2 rating of the car to be purchased.

Very hard to see them reintroduce grants, and a scrappage scheme wouldn’t really have much impact as there aren’t really many zero value cars we want to take off the road, like the old original scrappage scheme.

it’s abundantly clear that incredibly few people buy an EV with environmental impact as their primary reason.

So you end up incentivising people to change their car, and the environmental impact is a ‘side effect’. Fine I guess.

Also, lots of dealers or car manufacturers do a €3k ‘contribution’ and it’s just a grant by a different name.

Also It’s an election year, and with all the cost of living issues they’re dealing with, giving people who can afford a new car a handout won’t win many votes.

there shouldn’t need to be an incentive imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,596 ✭✭✭maidhc

It would to be an almighty scrappage scheme. There are few cars on the road with less than 5k, and it’s an almighty hill to climb to a new car nowadays. Back in the day of the first scrappage scheme (almost 30 years ago) Renault 5s were on offer for peanuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,867 ✭✭✭✭josip

Bought a Fiat Bravo during that scrappage scheme :) Scrapped my insurance written off Mk 2 Fiesta.

Advertisement