Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl LVIII Thread - Chiefs v 49ers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,252 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

also, nobody has ever won a SuperBowl after taking the cap hit that they took. it's quite mental really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jj880

You see players at that kind of stuff with each other on the sidelines all the time. Doesn't mean theyre all OJ. Dont remember any warnings for all their girlfriends / wives...

Only seeing comments like this because coach was involved and the endless nauseating fixation on Kelce and Taylor Swift.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,252 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

you hate it more because, basically, between the Patriots and this Chiefs dynasty, that will be two NFL dynasties that have tied a conference up for a couple of decades. that is a long time for your team to maybe not get a look-in, and since I presume you thought there'd be a break from dominance post-Brady/Bellichick, the arrival of the Chiefs is presumably pretty damn annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,273 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd have to agree about some of the play calling on offense by the 49ers. McCaffrey was playing great and they didn't use him on three consecutive downs a couple of times. It made no sense to me. Maybe overthinking things a bit.

And I'll criticise something in hindsight that worked out for SF. That was going for it on 4th and 3 when three points down. I thought that was stupid considering the defense they were up against.

The missed extra point was a huge thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

It's a whole different thing for players to gee each other up/chastise each other with a few timely belts or shoves to shouldering your Head Coach.Both commentary team and analysts for the game thought it was very bad form and a terrible look to send out to the hundreds of thousands of kids watching the game on how to disrespect your coach.Kelce lost it because he was having a very poor start to the game and was looking for someone else to blame.............as it couldn't be his fault!🙄

Time for an anger management course methinks 😉

• Advertisement

Agreed on the coach aspect.

If another player did it would there have been warnings for their girlfriend / wife? I doubt it.

Suppose that depends on how in trawl people are to the whole Kelce Swift subplot.

Because that’s all it is……a subplot.

Camera panned to her while Travis was whooping and hollering on the Presentation Podium and she didn’t seem to be impressed 🙂

Not doubting fact he was leading receiver but we all see games differently, that’s the beauty of Sports.

I just felt other players had a lot more influence on the game overall,like Pacheco,Mc Caffrey and the two opposing kickers who came up with amazing kicks when the chips were down.

Both Purdy and Mahomes can be proud of their performances.Unreal game from Purdy in his first Superbowl.

Mahomes produced when the game was on the line.A real warrior amd leader.

💥Can’t wait for the new Season! 🏈👏👏

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lainers99

People are just obsessed with her (especially my daughter!) I don’t get it and it is actually infuriating. Way too much air time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭cena

49ers

I don't like this new rule for over time. It should stay the first team to score wins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Chiefs

Your daughter is why she gets so much air time, people would’ve been watching this Super Bowl who’ve never done so before because of Taylor Swift. The NFL are understandably marketing it for monetary reasons but in the AFC Championship Game, I think she was on screen for a total of 25 seconds. It’s being made a far bigger deal of than it’s worth. Irrational hatred or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

Meh, given how long a game is she doesn't take up that much screen time. They are obviously milking it. Partially because of her fan base but also people get obsessed about hating her appearing as well which gers people talking about football more.

I don't get it either way. As is they delay the biggest half of the season so someone can play a concert. That seems to be a far bigger piece of pandering to the non football crowd and actually interferes with the game but never generates the same controversy. They aren't delaying the football game for her so I couldn't care less how much they pan to her in between plays when I am less interested in the screen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭FantasyFool

The old overtime rules could be dictated by a coin flip. At least now both teams have a fair crack of the whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Chiefs

She’s bigger globally than the NFL anyways. certainly bigger on our Rock.

Chiefs

I always think too much focus is placed on Longevity for GOAT conversations. I think 6-10 years is enough of a sample size to see what level was achieved. Obviously of course bonus points for doing it longer but I just don’t know about this having to have this 20 year career craic. I agree Mahomes is the best I’ve seen play as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Chiefs

It was too easy for whoever won the toss to kick a FG and finish it. The current system isn’t perfect but is better than before

• Registered Users Posts: 10,875 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Chiefs

I bet she got more exposure on this thread than the actual thing people should have been commenting on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Damien360

Nice one. Was looking for that since they showed the Nickelodeon box last night with SpongeBob and Patrick. A strange link to the game but sure why not.

Seen a few interviews since. Coach Reid said it works both ways and he gets after Kelce on the sideline too and "we both understand that".

Kelce said when he was in Reid's ear he was just telling him how much he loves him 😆 and also that he owes his whole career to him so both seem to be ok with it post game. Im sure the win helped also.

Yeah saw Swift during the presentation. If thats the worst she has to be embarrassed about she'll be grand. 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

49ers

Shanahan fails again for the same reasons. 3 straight 3 and outs, all pass plays in the 3rd when you have the best RB of this generation. They failed to work Kittle into the game.

That 3rd down at the end of the 4th, game on the line. How do you not expect the Chiefs D to send it? That was the game right there. You don't give killers like Mahomes a chance, same as Brady.

I genuinely think the 49ers are cursed for passing on Brady twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,273 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The longevity is there because Brady was top level all through his career. He had a 102 rating three times in his forties. He won three Superbowls in his forties.

The amount of Superbowls he won is the key stat though. Greatness is decided by championships.

I don't think Mahomes needs seven to take the GOAT title but he does need six.

I think he'll get there.

49ers

It will be tough for Mahomes to surpass him, but he's certainly in a good spot to do so. Brady only lost his first playoff game after winning 3 SBs, so Mahomes is still lagging on a comparative basis.

Mahomes has two key advantages, for one he came into a team with a lot of offensive talent and a coach who's one of the greatest offensive minds in the game's history. Secondly, the level of competition for him is significantly weaker than it was for Brady. The AFC was considerably more competitive during the decades Brady was on the Pats than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Chiefs

Yes it's much better I liked it both teams get a better balanced shot. Advantage of receiving ball first is that you can set a major marker if you score a TD but carrying risk of throwing an interception, big advantage still would be having possession for the sudden death as previous if O/T is still tied, plusses of receiving the ball second like with the Chiefs last night they knew the minimum score they had to achieve on their possession and had an extra down on each possession if a score was required

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

49ers

Do you mean end of the 4th or OT?

Don't remember the one at the end of the 4th but the one in OT was perfectly called by Kyle, with both Jennings and Aiyuk were open for TDs if Purdy even has a few seconds. The OL just messed up and ignored Jones - likely McKivitz but could be Burford, who came in later in the game due to an injury.

49ers

I meant the drive in the end of regulation. 14:35 on this video. They win the game if they pick up the 1st down. Most important play of the game for them and they don't anticipate an all out blitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,993 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's good the Chiefs won, Taylor can avoid Travis screaming in her face and shouldering her into a wall. Phew, Go Chiefs .

49ers

Watched it a few times and dont see how that is on Kyle.

Open to being wrong but to me there are enough guys in protection but Purdy doesn't correctly diagnose where the blitz is coming from. If he checks Kittle (I think) over to his left, he'd pick up the DB who ends up being a free runner ruining the play and it is an easy completion to Aiyuk.

Instead, in the video we have Kittle on he right, where it looks like the blitz might come from, and it ends up being him and Burford double teaming a single DB.

Only thing I could complain about from Kyle there is him not calling a timeout because the look wasnt great or seeing what was going on, the latter though is harsh as it was unclear until the DB moved a second before the snap.

Defenses are allowed to make good plays too, even if a good play is called.

• Advertisement

49ers

Well that was a gutting loss...

49ers absolutely had them, Kelce screaming in the face of Reid, WRs having a go at Mahomes, and their defense needing team meetings. They were shaken but we didn't put them in as deep a hole as they deserved to be in.

Problem is when you're facing Mahomes (agree with others in the thread that he is the best player I've ever seen), you need to be both playing your best and have luck go your way - the 49ers had neither.

When we were on top early, some of our best players made completely uncharacteristic mistakes - CMC fumble and penalties from Trent. Deebo also had some drops and Purdy some gaps in understanding what Spags was doing and also a few wayward throws. Special teams also being a killer with the missing PAT and muffed punt.

The luck side of things is where 49ers were completely obliterated. Chiefs weren't able to do anything on offense until Greenlaw blew his achilles running onto the field. I'm sure Reid and Mahomes would have gotten things going at some stage but he was an enormous loss, losing the heartbeat of the defense and vital in covering the run to allow Warner more freedom. The worst thing was the fumble luck - out of 7 fumbles during the game 6 ended up with the Chiefs. It is extremely difficult to win against any team with that fumble luck, forget about repeatedly coming within a play or two against Mahomes.

Margins in top level sport are so, so narrow. Kyle is going to get a lot of abuse coming out of this but for me most of it is going to be completely unwarranted. It is amazing how a bounce of a ball turns one coach into one of the greats, while the other is seen as a 'choker'.

Advertisement