Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike sitting for over 2 years

Options
  • 02-02-2024 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Unfortunately due to an accident (not bike related) I wasn't able to ride my bike (GSX650F from 2008) for over 2 years.

I am looking to get it back on the road coming into spring with brighter days ahead :)

The bike was sitting outside under a cover and looks to be in half way decent condition (a it bit of mold and some rust spots are on the handlebars; tyres are still inflated - they are 3 years old and have less than 1000km on them). The battery doesn't work anymore.

Am I right in saying that apart from the battery all liquids (oil, brake fluids, petrol etc) as well as spark plugs, chain & sprocket and tyres should be replaced?

I am wondering what sort of money I would be looking at to get it back into shape (I am not mechanically inclined so it would need to be brought to mechanic)?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭JP 1800

All as you mentioned also all linkages will need to be checked an lubed paticularly the throttle linkage for safety reasons. I would include air filter and check the tyre for flat spots ( dependong how they were sitting) and check wheel bearings. Bikes dont like living in the elements and the electrical system may need a going over aswell due to potential corrosion in the connectors. Take note of any rust or pitting on the fork stanchions as this will destroy the fork seals quickly. Money wise the fluids will be inexpensive, what you will be paying for is labour. I would give a few bike mechanics a shout to see what they are looking for and they may give you an idea of what else to check for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

If it was on the centre stand, I'm not seeing how the rear tyre would need replacing, even the front might be OK. Not sure the cost of a chain vs chain and sprockets but there'd be nothing wrong with your old sprockets other than they'll wear your new chain prematurely. If you can get it started you might get away without getting your carbs cleaned out, but if you have rough running etc then you know it needs to be done. A drop of oil down your bores might not be a bad idea either.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Many thanks for your input guys!

With all the potential work (including checking everything ) I can probably expect to spend $1k easily. Anyway, what needs to be done will get done as I don't want to compromise on safety.

Will be calling mechanics for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭JP 1800

You should not be spending a grand on that work, just a big service and a good check over. A few hundred at most (as long as the tyres are good)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,052 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think some posters missed the "under a cover" part. Also, carbs on a 2008 bike?!?!

Spark plugs should be fine and if no rain got on the chain there's no need to replace the chain and sprockets either. Apart from the battery the electrics will be fine.

Tyres will be flat spotted which could be interesting at first, depending on how old the rubber was when they went into storage they could be fine or could be well past their prime by now, check the tread for cracks

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
Advertisement