Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension contributions for jointly accessed

Options
  • 04-02-2024 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

I am max on my AVC's into my job pension. I have the option to add further AVC's but I would be over the 25% threshold. My wife works in the public service but is not in a position to make AVC's into her pension for another few years. Since we are jointly assessed for tax can I make further AVC into my pension to make up the unused allowance we have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 HRG

Have a similar question myself so hoping this will help bump the thread or did you ever get info on this yourself?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you're maxed out and your wife can't pay AVCs I can't see how there's any further scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Since we are jointly assessed for tax can I make further AVC into my pension to make up the unused allowance we have?

What you're referring to is not an 'allowance', it's a maximum contribution (as a % of your gross income) that can be made free of tax and it does not apply to a couple, it's per individual, regardless of marital status. What you can aggregate as a married couple are PAYE allowances and the standard rate (20%) band but pensions are treated differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 FlipFlopAgain

You say "My wife works in the public service but is not in a position to make AVC's into her pension for another few years."

Is this because she can't afford it? Or is it some limitation with her pension scheme or some restriction on her contract of employment?

If the former, then you could gift her some money so that she could make AVCs and make use of the tax relief.

If the latter, and you have a mortgage, then overpaying the mortgage might be your next best option to use up some free cash that you have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So ask her to buy some anyway and you contribute more to the running of your lifestyles, seems quite simple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement