Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inverter and Battery location

• 04-02-2024 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I'll be getting a PV system installed soon. My plan is to have a battery ready system setup and add batteries later to charge up from cheaper night rate electric.

I was going to have the inverter and batteries installed in an attic crawl space, or on the gable end of the house where the attic stair landing is. I am now rethinking this. I live in a semi-D with side access. It is a roofed area enclosed with doors on both ends, but it is not insulated for obvious reasons. We keep bicycles and shelving in there.

There is a good spot on the wall where the inverter could go, with some battery modules installed below it later down the line. The Fuse board is directly on the other side of this wall.

I am sure the inverter would be fine out there if it is outdoor rated (Solis 5kW hybrid), but what about keeping batteries out there? I am guessing they will be fine too except for maybe some minor losses during colder temps. Is there anything I should do to mitigate against losses, or battery damage?

Stay Free

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭on_the_roots

Batteries won't charge well or not at all in close/below 0⁰C so you will have to insulate the enclosure of the batteries. Only exception I know are the Huawei models.

If you decide to install in the attic make sure you have enough sound insulation to not disturb you when sleeping. Inverters will activate cooling fans during battery charging or high load from PV (like the Solis you mentioned).

Advertisement