Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Methane Cycle ignored

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Global warming is a hoax all you need is basic science to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well Dan, I'm waiting, enlighten me?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he did his own research, i'll wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭alps

That's the best answer I've got (and I've gone to the top of organisations that should know and they don't) and would make sense.

So if we take that a cow eats 6 tonnes DM @ approx 45% Carbon, the growing of that 6 tonnes would remove somewhere around 9.5 tonnes of CO².

If the cow "consumed" 9.5 and breathed out 3.65 tonnes CO² it leaves about 5.8 tonnes (or 5,800kg) CO² to account for her 100kg of methane.

We can argue all we want about the multiplier, (I'd say 28...naturally as a farmer) but even up to mid 50's as you put it earlier, it's still an even balance....but for..

We don't count the 9.5tonnes removal

We only count the 0.1 tonne CH4 emission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Alps, in many ways, I agree. If a plot of land has the same stocking rate every year, then it's stable for CH4, with the half life of CH4. As well, I can't see what benefit there is to finishing cattle younger in that. 40 animals every day of the year on a plot of ground. It doesn't matter to the environment, how often you rotate that number. The question for me is, what grows the 6 tonnes of grass? If it's inorganic N made by the Haber Bosch method then that is the main problem. That is fossil fuel use. That is the main environmental issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭alps

Agree fully, but unfortunately, agricultural emissions not counted that way.

Advertisement