Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The engima that is Cork hurling

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Appointing Gerald McCarthy as John Allen's successor along with a great Kilkenny team also finished that 2003-2006 Cork team. I think if the management structures that were cultivated by Donal O'Grady and John Allen, were kept in place by Gerald then that Cork team would have won at least another two all Irelands.

Gerald is a Cork hurling legend. He did a great job as trainer of the 1990 team under Canon O'Brien, and got a county who were useless for years in Waterford someway organised and competitive as well. In fact Waterford's most successful manager was a Cork man in Justin McCarthy and look at what they did to him in the end!

He was the wrong man for the job in late 2006 though. He was just being used as a pawn by Frank Murphy in his battle against the hurlers that time imo.

Anyway i think we have no issues producing skillful hurlers, it's all about getting that bit of steel and toughness into them now.

Post edited by Straight Talker on

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

I quoted the wrong post originally from you there. As i said it was a great Kilkenny team, but internal politics and infighting within Cork also hastened the decline of that Cork team imo.

When did the Rossies last win a senior all Ireland in either code?

We have been very poor defensively for years going as far back as that 2013 all Ireland at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

What relevance has a persons county of origin success/non success got to do with the validity of their opinion…..there are plenty of ‘hurling people’ in every county and they are entitled to their opinion without the rather childish/school yard retort above….🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

So because he’s a Rossie he’s not allowed have a genuine opinion?

Show us your personal All-Ireland medals - Just want to make sure you’re in the category of people allowed to have an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

I don't think they're fair comments because they're ignoring the actual reasons for the celebration and instead they've made up their own.

The team and fans didn't celebrate because they won the we-beat-limerick cup, they celebrated because it kept their entire summer alive. This was essentially a knock out match for Cork, and they would have been confident beforehand that they could beat Tipperary to confirm their place in the All-Ireland this year. Having come within a few scores of it last year, getting over the line with a last minute penalty showed the county that maybe their luck was about to change. There had been so many tight losses that it was such a relief to finally be on the other end of one.

If it was Clare instead of Limerick, the celebrations would have been the same.

They were having a pop at Cork supporters for being too happy.

My response wasn't the most diplomatic i admit, but it was our first win over Limerick in five years and we thought we were dead and buried after those defeats to Waterford and Clare.

So in that context the celebrations were understandable.

Post edited by Straight Talker on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Rosita

I see you have issues with Cork and that poster yourself. Explains you're getting worked up on the other thread. People are strange indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

appreciate your observations. But I wouldn’t be alone with having ‘amusement’ at some of the posts of ‘golden Miller’ ……..?

Also I don’t think I’ve ever posted before or after a game on the cork thread or any other county’s thread for that matter……’the enigma that is cork hurling’ was started by a non-corkonian so can hardly be classed as a true cork thread,

Post edited by Asdfgh2020 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭BQQ

Issues with Cork?

It’s not like he’s thread banned from the Cork gaa thread or anything like that

You know, like you being perma banned from the KIlkenny thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Charlie69

…people are strange indeed .

I could have no issue with you posting on a Cork thread or any other county thread that was mature enough to cope with your reflections. It's the seeming targeting of one poster that is odd. Certainly not unprecedented around here of course.

Who said he was banned from the Cork thread? Not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

This thread is unhinged 😂 If GoldenMiller was my pal in a pub before a match I'd be telling him shut up will ya!

Bad enough having to read 'I told you so' lark in the Liam Mac and Cork threads after we get bate without this one too.

Yes we are going well now, playing better than we have in years. Yes we finally have a bonafide goal machine. No we've not won anything yet. No we've not beaten Limerick or anyone else in Croker that matters for 3 years. One game at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

As I said a few years back, the battle coming down the road was going to be between an established Limerick and a buoyant and coming Cork. Two teams with contrasting styles, Limerick dogged and physical, Cork pacy and skillful.

Limerick have been great champions, but for every champion rises a challenger. We're at that apex, that although this Limerick team has a few more years in them, we've probably seen their best days. And Cork have all that talent coming through.

In many ways, this game could be seen as a changing of the guard. These things go in cycles, and Cork have been down for a long time, this could be the dawning of a period of Cork dominance going forward. They'll continue to improve as more talented youngsters come into the team in coming years

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mistermiyagi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Fair play to Cork, they have turned it around since early in the year. Very good workrate from the forwards yesterday. I think they'll win the final, but even if they don't it has to go down as their best year since 2013. Beating Limerick twice is a big achievement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement