Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestream Camcorder Canon Legria HF G26

Options
  • 07-02-2024 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,680 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

Have the camera in the subject line and looking to live stream to an unlisted YouTube link.

What gear beyond the Camera and Laptop do I require?

YouTube videos seem to suggest connecting the two via either an HDMI Interface Unit (CamLink is the example I’ve seen), or Elgato HD60 S+.

Would these genuinely be the only way? Is there an easily accessible alternative to the CamLink (which seems most suitable). 1080p quality streaming would be fine.

At the point of having connected the camera to the laptop with either of the above, is it straightforward to stream from a YouTube channel (with unlisted link)?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

It's been a few years since I did any streaming on YouTube, but if your laptop recognises your camcorder as a webcam, then I think all you need is OBS Studio to stream to YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,680 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cool ok

I have OBS Studio because I’ve used it for screen recording before. So I’d just need some sort of HDMI connection to connect Camera and Laptop?

When streaming then on YouTube I’d actually have OBS studio fully open?

I’m beyond bad at this

When I looked back at what I used previously, I connected my Canon DSLR A/V out (digital) to USB. I didn't use HDMI. I can't remember what resolution I got. If I get a some time this evening, I'll check.

A quick google shows that you do need something like CamLink if you want to connect via HDMI.

When streaming, yes OBS must be fully open and configured to connect to YouTube. There's plenty of guidance on how to set that up online, as much of it was gobbldegook to me.

Thanks very much - Will probably end up having to get a Camlink unless Resolution from just the USB itself is decent (if you found it out!)

Must check up on setting up OBS for connecting to YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

There's a thousand YouTube videos for getting to stream on YouTube from OBS. I'd recommend a Camlink as the video quality and frame rate will be poor via USB if even supported, and wasteful considering it is a decent camera.

• Advertisement

Thank you - Will get those so

Just tested it ... forgot I needed the EOS Webcam utility installed, which isn't officially supported on my DSLR, but it does, begrudgingly work ... Best I could achieve was 720p.

Now I remember why I didn't use the DSLR on a permanent basis , but instead got myself a C920 webcam, which can deliver 1080p.

Get yourself the CamLink.

Advertisement