Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sunbed facilities allowing minors Dublin

Options
  • 07-02-2024 10:37am
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3

I, along with several parents, have discovered instances of sunbed facilities( north Dublin but it may span further) allowing minors (16 and under) entry without IDs or with photoshopped IDs. Despite addressing this directly with our teens and the salons, I believe many parents might be unaware of the situation, as was the case for many of us. (Teens can easily cover it up by claiming they're in a nearby teen suitable location when parents inquire about their location.) Given the potential impact of just one session, it becomes a concern when parents find out only after the fact. Additionally, in our group, we've dealt with the salons, educated our teens on the dangers, imposed consequences, but the teenagers clandestinely find another. Its an ongoing battle.

All such cases have been reported to the HSE. In my research, the facilities accepting these IDs do not appear in Google searches, perhaps making them fly under the radar, some do when you know the name of the place for some when when you know the name it is not clear online that they have sunbeds. Conversely, the sunbed locations that can be found through a Google search don't seem to be utilised by teenagers to our knowledge, suggesting they might have been turned away for presenting only photographic versions of their IDs. (The teens. we know of absolutely do not look 18 suggesting the salons in question are accepting the ID knowing fully theses girls are minors but, knowing they’re covered by asking for some form of ID.)

I would appreciate it if anyone has similar experiences and any advice

Grateful for any assistance.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,914 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Great forum idea. +1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Deeec

I have a teen myself and its my responsibility to know where she is and that she is educated to the dangers of using sun beds - she knows how dangerous they are. Its not the responsibility of the HSE or the salons to ensure your child doesnt use a sun bed - Im sorry but its down to responsible parenting.

We find revolut is great - we can see where our daugther is spending her money - we never give her cash.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭beertons

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3 maryemmajackson

I absolutely agree

-education on such matter

-monitoring locations and activities

-not giving cash so you can monitor the spending (revlout is great for this)

are essential and the majority in this group had done just that.

However, looking into this for a while now and what's going on in general, even when our own teens are prevented from doing this, it still happens and is happening and due to the huge emphasis on image today, and especially when well aware of the fact that their families were so strict about sunbed use and its dangers, teens are very careful in their ways and means to do this and I really feel it is happening nationwide with teens without parents being aware.

The HSE inspections require the salon asking for ID to pass, the bigger well known salons don't accept photo IDs and even when it s so obvious that these girls are 14/15, others salons either don't require ID or accept photos ID when it is obvious the client is under 18.

While we have dealt with it in our immediate group, I believe that there should be stricter guidelines/regulation on this as the risks are present after even one session.

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3 maryemmajackson

More research has shown that the teenagers can easily find many places who never ask for IDS, we presumed that these paces would be strict on ID so they must have fake ones but this is not the case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement