Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The accelerating fall in Sinn Féin support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

This is typical of your posting, never answer facts about policies etc and waffle on about change.

"Stockholm syndrome" refers to when you are captured or abuser. Crazy you use this type of comment on a forum when discussing politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

why should i 'answer facts about policies' when we dont know the specifics of their policies as they havent made any yet. go read the most recent manifesto as its just not my job to educate you.

Stockholm syndrome was a reference to the fact people keep voting in the same government time and time again. the same government thats 'abusing' us all. I see that went way over the oul head there.

I was not aware that thinking for some was so awkward

the polls - as I keep saying - are measuring the xenphobes and the irish for the irish crowd who look at SF as traitors because SF arent racist enough. More than likely etc FG voters I'd. I think SF are till in good shape and still ahead of the competition - so I wouldnt be crowing just yet about the demise of SF. If you think polls somehow can verify who was an actual SF voter in the last election and who wasnt then I just beg to differ. You cant actually trust people to be honest on who they voted for.

Personally I dont mind saying I vote SF, but its amazing how many of the AOBSF gang on here never seem to nail their flag to any particular pole (pardon the pun). Are the rest of ye ashamed of who you vote for or something that you cant admit which parties you give your vote to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

sinn fein agus gach duine eile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I used to love voting for Sinn Fein. It's still better then FFG/Greens but my God I hope there's a real alternative in my area next election. I'm also praying their canvassers knock on my door.

tape the conversation because I'd love to hear your arguments against them, considering they arent in power and have been a powerful opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The polls are measuring the opinions of those that vote for SF.

And of those that vote for SF, the majority of them are anti immigration.

They do the same polls for all the other partys, but SF voters are the ones that top the anti immigratiom charts. Every time.

The argument against them is they havent got an argument or a costed plan for anything.

Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Oh things could be a hell of a lot worse with a SF government - a lot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Milominderbender

Everyone seems to have forgotten about Sinn Feins disastrous performance in the 2019 local and European elections. They lost 78 council seats almost half their total. The only held on to one MEP seat out of three.

Roll on January 2020 Charlie Flanagan is trying to run a RIC commemoration in Dublin Castle that is widely referred to as a black and tan celebration. In the midst of this public backlash Fine Gael call a snap general election and plaster Varadkar's mug all over the country despite him being an unpopular leader.

The result lead to a massive surge in support of Sinn Fein. TD's who looked to be in danger of losing their seats ended up topping the poll. Even no hoper candidates that they ran to go through the motions ended up being elected.

My own guess is that the party have attempted to cement their gains. Use the public's eventual fatigue with Fine Gael / Fianna Fail to become the dominant partner in the next government. Unfortunately for them that looks to be unraveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Eventually the electorate will want those specifics, therein lies SFs greatest weakness. They will be asked to provide specifics about their policies, if they had them, surely they would have used them to batter the current Government. SF seem now to be relying on the less intelligent, more gullible of the disaffected masses.

🤣

An excellent description of the Sinn Fein online supporters, abuse people online, abuse TD's online(Please note I am not saying you have for either group), share loads of nonsense online

Make accusations about people and groups

Yet talk about Sinn Fein politics, no chance

Thank you, at least you admitted the agenda instead of jumping around it for years and thousands of posts.

Wasn't it you posting about "orange catholics" and "taigs"?

The poster in question is jumping around on every political thread telling everyone how great Sinn Fein is, yet will never engage on a discussion about their policies. Seems kinda strange doesn't it? but it is the standard from all Sinn Fein supporters. Happens across all threads.

Talk about people hating Sinn Fein, fear of change, the usual "shur they can do no worse", etc etc etc

But whatever happens, they will not engage on a discussion on their policies

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ionraice

Am I the only person here wondering when uncontrolled migration became a centre right policy, and wanting control of your borders became a hard right position.

From my viewpoint, Ive always considered my views to be centrist.

Yet, I find myself disagreeing with both the centre right, and the left on migration.

It seems to me that both FF and FG have swung left of centre, both on migration, and "progressive" issues. Meanwhile, SF have edged very slightly right on the same issues.

The Green party are the tail wagging the dog on environmental issues.

So, who is there for the traditionally centrist, common sense, supporter to vote for now?

None of the main parties are anywhere near centrist. Im not a fan of "everyone out but the Irish" hard right nutjobs.

So, where can we find a centrist party nowadays. The choice is left, or hard right, from where I'm standing.

Sinn Fein present themselves as an option for change.

I dont see it. All I see is more of the same.

"We'll build more houses, and provide more hospital beds" is the promise of every political party.

Really? And if you do, are the Irish taxpayers going to benefit from any of them, is the question I will ask every canvasser approaching my door, tbh.

tell me now how any poll can say they know any person really voted for SF. A Poll asks for people opinions. I could answer a poll and pretend I voted SF and now I hat them etc etc, yet in reality be a rabid anti-shinner.

ah go away with that rubbish. Name me one party who are in opposition that has finished policies ready to roll in government. Its not strange. Find the policies you dont like, tell me what you dont like about them and maybe we could discuss what they have in their manifesto but otherwise sir, you are just talking bollox there expecting people to answer your vague questions.

Oh the online supporter starts now with the bad language.

If you don't have the manners to discuss a topic decently then jog on a chara. Nobody is impressed with keyboard warrior and certainly not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Not a peep out of any SF politician on the death of Navalny. Even Michael D managed a tepid statement. It’s not like Russia was any great supporter of the Provos during the Troubles - they preferred the Stickies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's probably because they are mostly working class, rather than just because they are SF voters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,795 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A recent poll had class breakdown and showed that the SF voter base was wildly more anti immigration than the traditional working class was.

True, but if most working class folks are SF voters, the conclusion is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭mikethecop

sfs only contributed to taking the country from war to peace in the way that they stopped killing people themselves , to announce that as something to be proud of is funny dont you think in a sick kinda way ?

as usual long on bolster light on substance

Has there ever been an election where the opposition party hasn’t detailed how their policies differed from the incumbents?

Their policies/manifesto are light on detail, anorexic in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

God almighty, there is going to be some crying and gnashing of teeth done on here after the next election when Mary Lou comes back from the park as the first female Taoiseach and leader of the first left wing government in irish history.

Which party do you think is going to be the minority partner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

To really make gains over the established parties you have to really differentiate yourself. Sinn Fein increasingly look fairly similar to the current government, and worse in a lot of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Augme

They have made massive gains over the established party in less than a decade. In the 2016 they had 14%, in 2020 they had 24%. In now they polling well ahead of the other two parties. Given that Ireland is centrist country, really differentiate themselves from everyone else clearly isn't a vote winner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement