Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The accelerating fall in Sinn Féin support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

SF are currently 19 points behind the current government, and dropping. They are going to need to do more than spout platitudes if they are to arrest that fall and get into Government. Even you, a declared supporter can’t tell us anything about what they will do, or how they are going to do it, which will make undecideds vote for them. Being the alternative voice will not be enough if Mary Lou and the minions keep spooking the electorate or equivocating on the important issues of the day. At the moment SF don’t seem to be getting any of the big things right, and that isn’t good a year out from an election. If their support continues to tank, don’t be surprised if the government parties decide to call an early election, if SF can’t get in now, when will they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yep. 2 further own goals.

Encouraging people not to pay the license, when its a legal responsibility to do so, just says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the current government being FF, FG and the Greens. That's three parties. Even IF they party support went below that of FF or FG, Im sure they'll still do well.

Im not here to tell you anything about SF - in fact how dare you assume I have to do anything at all for you. I basically cant be arsed for one, and secondly you are again referring to vague 'policies' that none of you have defined as yet. What policies in particular are you on about anyway?

The government SHOULD be calling an early election - look at the state of the place. I'd wager none of the three would fare well - but we'll have to wait and see. Nothing you have typed above makes any kind of point, other than you are comparing the votes of three parties against one and thinking thats some form of accomplishment. Outside of that what exactly are you saying? If they keep losing in polls the gov will call an election? I say great! do it now!

tv licence is outdated. you'd agree with that i suppose if any other party had put the idea forward

• Advertisement

You do understand how elections work? Losing support is not the aim of any party with aspirations of governing.

That’s my business, it won’t be SF, they are bluffers who appeal to those who are easily swayed by policies which they cannot substantiate.

When you ask a supporter, what policy makes you want to vote for SF/ what makes you think they can achieve it? and they can’t answer, you know that all the supporter is hearing is the siren call, they haven’t a clue what it means. That isn’t a failing on your part, it’s a failing on theirs, but voters should be asking those questions. Those that are, are seeing through the BS, that along with all the high profile recent missed steps means their election result is likely to suffer rather than improve as support bleeds.

The policies which are most topical at the moment, housing, immigration, law & order, cost of living. Can you tell us about what part of their policies appeals to you most, and why you think they are going to achieve what they say?

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I refer back to my previous post, you missed the part at the end it seems

I don't need another post about fear or snide comments by the way 

Even when called out on posting snide comments you can't even respond without snide comments. Keep bashing away on that keyboard, Im sure someone is impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I am repeatedly surprised by the number of SF voters and supporters online who claim to have no real idea of what policies the party stands on. From carbon tax to immigration, the silence is stunning.

One supporter claimed to have been duped for 50 years by the main two parties, it seems now that SF are able to dupe supporters into voting for them without them even knowing what the party stands for.

I voted Green in the last election, will be voting Green in the next election, happy to discuss their policies on the relevant thread, some of which I agree with, some of which I disagree with, but at least I know what I am voting for. It seems others are voting for SF because they are different and they are republicans but know nothing else of their policies - that does sound foolish.

• And I'm surprised by you believing a Starmer-led Labour or the Republicans stand on principle.

Never said that they stand on principle, but we know what they stand for.

• Advertisement

If it is deemed outdated, you can legally change the method of funding. Thats ok.

But until that new method of funding is in place, you keep revenue generation via the license as is, so there is no deficit incurred and everyone remaims compliant with the law. Thats the constant.

Encouraging people to break the law and not pay the license, before the new funding system is introduced, is populist in the extreme and the question has to be asked, if they can encourage people not to pay the license fee, what other laws could people be encouraged to ignore?

Its a massive own goal as any right minded person will see the implications here. And they go way beyond the license for your TV.

im pretty sure they were proposing to legally change it, but its 'encouraging people to break the law' ....

ah yeas, another person who will slag off anyone who admits to voting for SF, but hasnt the balls to pin their flag to the mast. Do you understand how solid party support is built? It certainly isnt by running after the voters who dont believe in that party.

I dont need to see what polcies SF might come up with to vote for them. Im pretty confident, they - like any other party - will reveal their policies for government when they are ready. You can look at the 2020 manifesto to keep yourself up to date until they publish a new one. Chuffed you want to know what I think, but since you wont even tell me who you'll vote for I dont think I'll tell you anything.

you are surprised quite a lot by the sound of things. I know what the party stands for - I just cant predict what their policies might be. As I keep saying, read the 2020 manifesto and you can see what they are offering. Go look up their proposed budgets each year. Stop demanding I tell you anything as I dont have to tell you ****. The info is there if you want to find it.

you call someone telling you to go find out the info yourself a 'snide comment'. A dictionary is what you need.

I’m not slagging off anyone who admits to voting SF, I’m slagging off anyone who admits to voting for SF without knowing what they are voting for. A subtle, but important distinction.

I keep hearing that they are going to sort problems, but they have yet to indicate how they are going to do it.

Solid party support will get you so far, but if that solid support is significantly lower than the incumbent government, how can they possibly expect to govern if FFG join again? They need more than just solid supporters, they need the support of the undecideds.

I really don’t want to know what you think personally, you are just a surrogate on this thread for the typical SF supporter, you support them, but you don’t know what or how they are going to do.

Thesis: Sinn Fein are attracting supporters who know nothing of what the party stands for and don't have a clue what their policies are.

Proof: Sinn Fein supporting posters who are unable to give any indication of what the party's policies are

Refutation: Sinn Fein supporting posters who are able to explain and defend Sinn Fein's policies while demonstrating why they support them.

We have plenty of proof on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's hardly unique to SF though.

The challenge for the party is that it has an extreme free market approach to immigration but wants a social welfare state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭mikethecop

waut to return to type , in a indefensible situation attack the other posters.

Im from Munster , in Ireland , ya know the country that ye shinners are trying to rejoin, the one had had near zero support for yer murdering mob of gangsters and tramps while there were doing it.

tough time to be a shinner bot eh ?

Very true, I would add to that, that they are going to improve housing, but appear to unable to say how they are going to do it, and how they are going to pay for it.

So on the two most high profile issues, they are sinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

FYI as a keen Sinn fein supporter that you claim you should be aware of the Sinn Fein alternative budget, the one they made mistakes in and then had to re-release to the public. Opp's

Maybe you should have a read to see what their policies are

Or even easier, go to www.sinnfein.ie in the top it says "Policies", you have guess it they have them listed their

Alternative budget

• Advertisement

They suggested all fees for non payment should be waived. If that isnt encouraging people not to pay the license, I dont know what is.

And no rebate for those that have paid, by the way.

They also wanted to still pay An Post 12 million a year for NOT collecting the license...

We are talking about tv licenses here and the logic is flawed. Lord help us when the bigger issues surface!

"I dont need to see what policies SF might come up with to vote for them."

Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭mikethecop

lol

cult members don't even know they are in a cult

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The more SF say the more people will cool in their support ,they are and will lose any remaining middle ground orientated voters with daft suggestions like the TV licence amnesty for non payers .They will be left with their usual base of voters which won't be enough for SF to call any shots after the election .

The other problem they have is that their usual base of voters - the permanently disaffected - are shrinking.

Record numbers of first-time buyers, record numbers of people employed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Any party has to grab a good number of middle ground voters I just can't see many of them voting SF.Irish people talk about change but don't really go for anything too far from the middle ground when it comes to the crunch .

man whinges about SF constantly but says he doesnt like them. Heres antoher one for you -SF voters could not care less what non SF voters think of them or of SF.

grasp at those straws. You wont even say who you are voting for.

'Nuff said'

I'd say scrapping it now, releasing whoevers still in jail because of it and refunding anyone who made recent payments (there'd have to be a time scale outlined for all of it) would be the way to go. Along the lines I suppose of what SF were suggesting.

I hope I never see you complaining about the tv license or RTE as you are so against anything being done about it.

• Advertisement

Again, you aren’t grasping the fact that their sound bite lacks detail on what happens if the license fee is withdrawn from the state broadcaster and its employees. You just suck in the information fed to you, and don’t ask yourself the important questions about their policies, and effects.

Didnt it occur to you to ask, what happens if the fees are abolished without a plan going forward relating to the funding shortfall? Surely SF should have accompanied the statement with a plan for RTE. This is the crap that has people wondering, is there a disconnect between their mouths and their brains.

Advertisement