Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bathroom Extractor Fan

• 08-02-2024 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Howdy Folks, Ive been having problems with excess condensation in the house and I am trying to tackle it. My main bathroom is in the middle of the house with only a vellum skylight that we never open (it's broke). I was thinking of replacing it for something we can open. We have no extractor fan in the main bathroom and we three teenage kids and plenty of showers we need to have a solution. So I think an extractor fan in ceiling would help. Can anyone recommend a really good fan, the cost and and tips and tricks and pitfalls I have to watch out for?

Iw as looking at this...

Also on condensation and extra moisture, are there any 'hacks' to do to keep it at bay (I know open windows) but I read plants can work... would you recommend this?

Thanks folks, appreciate and advice or expertise given.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

A review on that Screwfix page indicates that although the motor seems good, the rest of the kit isn't. Perhaps you'd need to buy everything separate to keep the quality up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Redlim

In terms of quick hacks to keep moisture levels down - I'd recommend squeegee-ing the walls and the floor/tray of the shower after each use. There's a surprising amount of water left on these surfaces which just evaporates into the air adding to the problem. Takes about 30 seconds to squeegee it all down the drain instead. Might take a bit longer to convince the teenagers though!

A dehumidifier in the house would make a big difference until you sort the ventilation but can be costly to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭CrazyEric

I put this in my ensuite bathroom. If you don't open the window/door it will create so much suction that the door is hard opened. 6 months in and no issues. Doesn't have an overrun timer but a simple on/off pullcord works fine. Important to keep the ductwork as level as possible to prevent pooling of moisture. Probable ideal in a big bathroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You need to undercut your door. There's no way a bathroom fan is stopping the door from opening your door is swelling from the humidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭CrazyEric

No it isn't. The suction is the issue and is simply proven by turning off the fan. Not sure why undercutting a door will reduce humidity in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Undercutting the door creates airflow which you need otherwise the fan is pointless.

Your doors are too tight fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭JVince

Get the velux looked at. Might be a simple fix.

It has a vent setting.

If it's too high to reach, get a velux opening pole - about €25.

Combined with an extractor would be the perfect solution

Advertisement