Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sow clover in lawn

Options
  • 08-02-2024 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Looking to sow clover in our lawn.

We have 3 dogs and the lawn looks a bit mucky.

Would the clover be a good idea?

Also where could I get it in a small amount?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

Not a good idea, the clover will spread out all over with no way to control it unless putting weed killer.

Maybe better to put grass seed but it's middle of winter now and nothing will grow. Just have to put up with the mucky lawn until the growing season starts around March or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A clover lawn is an entirely feasible notion. It will need mowing occasionally but not as much as grass, you do have to mow it as it will get woody if you just leave it. You can get relatively small amounts of seed from https://www.fruithillfarm.com/white-clover-seed-small-leaved-organic.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Clover should help add nitrogen to the soil in the lawn area and could help your grass growth because of this. I like to see the colour of the clover flowers in the lawn and that they provide food for pollinator insects so think adding some to a lawn is a good idea. I did not add any to my own lawn area and some started growing naturally and I have not found it spread very much with mowing of the area keeping it under control. Sorry I can't help with a supplier as mine has all been self sown.

Happy gardening!

Advertisement