Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Tails

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

They should be sized correctly and changed at some stage

The reality is nothing will happen in the meantime assuming they're terminated correctly both ends

Voltage drop is also not an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

esbn are issuing a warning letter to the op for a very valid reason

if these “short bits of wire “are overloaded then there’s a potential hazard

the op should try and resolve these issues

Yes they should be resolved

It's quite common on older works for short bits of 6 to connect meter to main board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Hello Everyone.

Thank you all for your very informative posts.

The warning notice hasn't been found yet, but whatever... when I put the matter to the injured party and they ask "Why?" , I'll be able to give a reasoned argument. I've another question to ask, hopefully you're not fed up with me yet.😁

In this scenario, we're going to install a second cabinet in the porch and put a lovely new consumer unit in it. Of course now the house wiring has to be connected to it. For now, just to establish the principle, I'll just refer to an existing ring-main. The cables come in from the existing consumer unit at a height of about 1.5m. Leg 'A' then travels up the wall into the box room and into the first socket on the ring. From there its daisy chained round the bedrooms then down a wall into the dining room into a socket and the ring continues round the downstairs under the nice new floors, out into the hall and up the wall via the last socket. Then it runs alongside Leg 'A' and goes out to the MCB.

A thought occurs to me that might save the house from destruction. Could this ring be left in situ, but just disconnect the two last pieces and run two new pieces from the first and last fairly easily accessible sockets? The only damage incurred would be the wall in the hall, up and down which the new ends would have to be buried, then fed out into the new consumer unit. What do you think?

Thanks in advance, for your patience and also for all your very valuable advice which is much appreciated.

Relocating board and upgrading tails etc probably means a rewire

Discussion on bits of circuit wiring probably irrelevant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Thanks for your info, tomhammer.

I was afraid that might be the case. It'll be hard to convince someone to rip up their floors etc, even with the rationale being explained to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Should the tails have been upgraded when the smart meter was installed? Seems like both the OP and myself had smart meters installed without this happening. But SEAI say

"ESBN are currently rolling out smart meters in homes across Ireland. As part of this roll out, if they encounter under-sized meter tails on the grid side, they will upgrade the meter tails up to the new standard of 16mm at no cost."

https://www.seai.ie/blog/meter-tails-domestic/

I'm a little confused by all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

That’s on the grid side (esbn)

the consumer side (home)is the customer responsibility. It’s explained in the article

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Doolittle51

It says "on the grid side"

That means the tails from the main ESB fuse to the meter. Anything downstream of the meter is your responsibility, including the tails from the meter to your consumer unit.

Downstream of Meter or ESBN isolator if fitted

• Advertisement
Advertisement