Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses who still use Facebook as their website...

Options
  • 10-02-2024 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's 2024, lots of people don't use Facebook anymore and there are few things more annoying than trying to find out about a business or service I'm interested in supporting and then getting the Facebook login page telling me I can't read the information without signing up.

The worst culprits are businesses that host events. Surely there's a better platform in this day and age than exclusively using Facebook or Instagram for their annnouncements

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭prunudo

Lots of people still use or certainly have Facebook, what is the platform that you use, which you think businesses should move to, to accommodate you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

never had a facebook account, just never appealed to me, can still navigate without it, boards is actually the only social media ive ever done, couldnt be arsed with it at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭prunudo

If you can perfect a platform that everyone uses you'll be a billionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I see a lot of Gardening/Landscaping/trash removal services popping up on FB all the time... I'm sure they're fully legit and licensed... 😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I say bring back golden pages! Everyone had a copy

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

3.6m users in Ireland alone for facebook

2.5m for instagram

The cost of creating and running a website is large for a company, especially keeping updates etc. Facebook is a cheaper alternative and has instant chat etc

It's an excellent option, do you have an alternative with the user base as above?

• Advertisement

Honestly the person with a sign "rubbish removal" is just fly tipping and people should stay away. The real companies will offer a receipt/proof of dumping etc/

Go back 20 years and yellow pages/local newspaper/shop advertising was full of the same companies. If you are looking for a company then research and ask for proper references.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Tork

Facebook has its issues it would be better if companies had their own proper websites. But at least you have a better idea of when a business updated its details on Facebook. With a website, the information can be out of date. There is no perfect solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can make a website on Blogger or Google Sites for free plus a bit of your time.

To give it a better web address eg www.mybusiness.com costs whatever you pay for the address: .com can be got for just over a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Agree. I don't use Facebook either never have.

I think using Facebook looks less professional than using their own website.

If I get the please sign up message I just move on go back the internet search and look for another company

then you don't have a customer base of 3.6m :-)

The websites on Blogger and Google the majority of time look like a amateaur has done it and then you have to try advertise the website to get people to it. With facebook word of mouth is easy to pass around

Im not trying to oversell facebook and all I use it for now is really from a business point of view instead of the original purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

It is a growing trend globally. Businesses and ordinary users also use Linkedin landers for their business rather than going to the trouble of developing their own website. Most retail domain name registrars offer Wordpress as an installable option and it is the main content development system used by businesses. Joomla is also up there. It gets down to ease of use and cost.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

Facebook has developed into a golden pages type site.

Probably 5+ years since I've posted on my page, but I'll use it for clubs I'm involved in and looking for information.

The day of looking at it for the picture of a nephew or other family member doing something is long long gone.

But as an information source for business and clubs, it's still very relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Yes, the Internet has a much higher user base. Why exclude half the country from accessing information about your business? Doesn't seem like a very good business decision.

If I'm trying to access a service, that service only having a presence on Facebook immediately rules them out for me. It tells me they are unprofessional. I would rather hire a professional, or at least someone who has the wherewithal to at least pretend to appear professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Normal people of certain age groups would certainly be expected to have a facebook account if they had a normal social circle. I imagine those people are their target demographic. The amount of people in that demographic who don't have a facebook account would be minimal and probably not the most social people. Obviously there will be exceptions but it will be mostly loners without a facebook in that demographic sadly. Harsh but true.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Businesses use the mediums that best get them to their target market and many of them have market bods and research behind their advertising and presence choices. And in that respect if you want to target adults with disposable income then FB is going to be front and center. Most of the kids who joint FB in their 20s or so are now the ones with the cash to spend and it would be very foolish to ignore them. I know a travel agent who only uses a biweekly paper newsletter... this one man company has a turnover of almost 10m - most of his customers have not got a clue how to use the internet - their pensioners with both time and money to spend.

If the companies you are trying to hook up with are not on your media choices, it's because you are not their target or because they are a small company doing DIY marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

"Never have used facebook" but an expert on why it's bad.

3.5m Irish users. Super easy to create. Messaging, security, reporting, and content moderation for free. :shrug:

You don't exclude half the country, in reality the majority of people with income will use facebook, so your best return on investment will be on facebook.

I personally would not discount a supplier based on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If your customer base is 3.6 million, you don't need a free or cheap website!

Just because someone has a facebook account doesn't mean they actually use it.

Their own website maybe.. seriously nowadays that should be a given...

less and less ppl use FB, its crap :)

I got rid of my account years ago, waste of time..

Im not actually sure what the point of the post is?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I stripped back my FB "Friends" to the bare minimum & those I actually knew (as opposed to random ex-coworkers I never spoke to when I DID work with them) plus a smattering of local FB Groups who have been extremely useful over the last few months in sourcing local businesses, or just communicating with other residents on communal issues.

It's a known "problem" for Facebook that their user-base has stalled and shrinking, mostly cos young people have no interest in the site - but then young people don't tend to have the same kind of disposable income that might cause them to see out the kind of local businesses that still keep a FB account active.

In any case, what odds? It's just another arm of marketing for companies, no more so than a painted van or a fistful of business cards left on the conter of the local coffee-shop / stuck on a corkboard outside the Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Facebook Groups have a lot of activity in many cases. Some of the ones I follow, are actively targeted by people & businesses working in the area, offering relevant services. I'd think they do well enough out of it for very little cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

There is a local Facebook group to me run by a citizen journalist type who sticks their camera in everyone’s face and live streams everything.

The same individual has been banned numerous times from Boards over the years for doxxing posters who posted negative things about that group on Boards.

A lot of these Facebook groups have just turned into hate filled screaming at the clouds groups.

Most business pages are cash in hand for work and pay up front and of course there are genuine businesses that on a local level Facebook is easier for them than having a website.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭scottser

People who don't have facebook accounts are loners and losers?

Now we know Zuckerberg's boards ID..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Whatever about the instagram figures there's no way that 3.6m in Ireland are using Facebook. Practically nobody under 30 uses it, which is probably about a third of the population. Even if you were to be generous and say that half of the rest of the population was using it then you'd only end up at around 1.76m.

I'd love to see whatever accounting tricks someone came up with to get that figure. Must be counting bots or something.

Advertisement