Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it mandatory for packaged food to display the weight?

• 10-02-2024 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭

My local Supervalu sells a range of seeds, nuts etc from a company called Bare Pantry. I regularly purchase a carton of brown linseed (aka flaxseed) to put on my breakfast cereal.

When I studied the carton today in my kitchen and later in my local Supervalu (I inspected several of their products), there is no weight stated on any of the cartons.

Even their website fails to say when you're getting for your money in terms of weight. This is the product, the price is €2 but what are you getting for your money? .. https://www.barepantry.ie/shop/p/linseed-brown

I stress that this is a fresh food product which is sold in a sealed carton for a sticker price i.e it is not a loose product like bananas that gets weighed at the checkout. But there is no weight stated on the packaging.

Is this legal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm not sure if it's illegal - I'd image it is - but it's bad policy, imo.

I think I came across pork scratchings in Dealz with no weight but it isn't common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭notAMember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thanks for that. It would appear that the item I'm talking about (see post #1) is required to display the net quantity - in this case weight.

An exemption mentioned in that EU document would apply where a product is sold by number and you can see the quantity. Examples would be a tray of four Granny Smith apples or a net of nine oranges - they would not be required to state quantity or weight in the labelling because the consumer can clearly see what they're getting. In my case, I can see what I'm getting (a transparent plastic container full of seeds) but, while standing at the display stand in the supermarket, I can't tell the weight of the item.

1. The net quantity declaration shall not be mandatory in the case of foods:

(a) which are subject to considerable losses in their volume or mass and which are sold by number or weighed in the presence of the purchaser;

(b) the net quantity of which is less than 5 g or 5 ml; however, this provision shall not apply to spices and herbs; or

(c) normally sold by number, provided that the number of items can clearly be seen and easily counted from the outside or, if not, is indicated on the labelling.

Post edited by coylemj on

Advertisement