Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting slurry tanker wheels to a Super major

Options
  • 10-02-2024 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

So I've been searching far and long for wheels to stick on my major, and wheels that seem yo be common enough for cheap ate slurry tanker wheels.

The one I'm looking at is 800/45 r 26.5, and it works out to the sane height as my current major wheels , but nearly 30 inches wide - compared to my current inchs wide wheels.

Whats the pros and cons? Am I setting myself up for failure if I get these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

Where are you planning on going? Antarctica…..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What would be the overall width of the tractor, with wheels like these, are there any tractor pulling lads near you that you could talk too, plenty of them use Majors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

There's a tanker between ferbane an ballinahown in a yard, the axle must have come off or something but its on its side for a month or so. Fresh wheels on it. I'd say the lot is a write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 macho-leddy

• Advertisement

Not sure about tractor pulling lads near me, but looking back at it each wheel would at 2 foot width to each side of the tractor...

Maybe too wide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭DBK1

It’s there since a few weeks before Christmas now. Looks a right mess, hard to see it as anything else other than a write off. A fairly big (maybe 3,000 gallon) single axle Belmac with a dribble bar.

Looks like the axle came out from underneath it. Whether or not it was involved in an accident I don’t know but a lot of lads don’t realise that them big single axle tanks are only rated for 30kmh and they’re being pulled at 55-60kmh in a lot of cases so I wouldn’t be surprised if the axle came out from under it.

That’s not a great road along there and a single axle tank would be doing plenty of bouncing on that road if being pulled at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,521 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Planning on going plouging with the 7 sod reversible........needs the extra traction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭148multi

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Is it the tyres or the running gear is rated to 30 k.i know the tyres give contractors alot of trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭DBK1

The running gear usually but then the tyres will be specced to suit the running gear.

It’s easy to know what the tyre is rated for as there’s a load and speed rating marked on every tyre.

The big tyres on the single axle tanks will always give contractors trouble due to the amount of work they be doing and there’s not too many contractors driving around at 30kmh!

A local contractor here went back to a dealer he purchased a new tank from looking for new tyres to be fitted under warranty as the side walls of the tyres were in ribbons after 2 or 3 seasons. The dealers son was friends with the contractors son, a lad in his late 20’s that should have more sense, on Snapchat and had pictures and videos the contractors son had sent different days where he was laughing at the height he was getting the tank to bounce in the air on bad roads when doing 55kmh. The contractor left the dealers yard with his tail between his legs and had to replace the tyres himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Tyre's that width on a Major won't have any traction whatsoever.

It wouldn't cross a big cow dung

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I saw a major in kilcormac a few years back at a vintage run. It had a lorry engine fitted, think it was 6 cylinder or a maybe a diesel v8?? Monster anyways, with a stainless exhaust.

Wheels were upgraded to match as well. Could have been tanker wheels.

Some bus.

Thanks for all the comments lads, I have gotten myself a nice pair of 16.9-30 wheels

Advertisement