Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerating Lawn - do I need to fill the cores or not

Options
  • 11-02-2024 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Going aerating the lawn, lawn is compacted with a lot of traffic.

I've seen conflicting information, some people say leave the holes & do not fill as this would defeat the purpose.

Other say you need to fill them up to the top. If i do need to fill them is topsoil OK, or does it need to be garden sand or a mixture of both.

The main reason I am doing this is for drainage with the knock on benefits for grass growth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I was told fill with sand if you have good ground or compost if you have heavy clay.

Just what I was told, haven't gotten around to actually doing it yet so can't vouch for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It's common practice to top dress the soil after core aeration, but it's definitely not a necessity.

The top dressing won't prevent water from draining as it'll be pretty loose in the holes.

Whatever you do, wait until the lawn has dried out and growing well again (so probably April) before you start working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

Thanks for the responses, yeah going to wait until late March / April before I start

Advertisement