Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervans in Marina area?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Not really if you think about it. Campervans represent eco-tourism and adventure to some people. Frequently they offer a sustainable holiday option. With limited resources like water, gas, and electricity, individuals are compelled to use only what is truly necessary. Furthermore, if the electricity source is renewable, such as solar power, the sustainability aspect is even stronger. They're certainly easier on the environment in ferries than taking flights or booking in to hotels.

Furthermore! They tend to have a very long road life, people look after them and don't replace them every two years like people do with SUV's.

So it's not really the "special kind of load of bollicks" you thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

🤣 "Mommy Mommy, nooooo…. 😫 where have all the lovely campervans gone? Now when we go to park the car in the greenway carpark, there are nothing but other cars, and SUVs might I add,… sniff sniff" 😂

awe your good craic Rambo - keep 'em coming lol

I could have resorted to that sort of posting when you first complained about campervans in the carpark sporina but, thankfully mature debate is the route I & others normally go down on boards.ie. This sort of quoted misrepresentation of me is the last resort of a failed argument.

If this is all you have I'd suggest you simply leave the thread and let it take it's course. You won the battle and got tourists banned from overnight parking but you lost the debate. Your post isn't in keeping with the thread, it's childish and juvenile, this is the Cork City thread, not after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Half the people who bought a camper van during lockdown … they regret the decision.

Having 100k worth of vehicle sitting in your driveway as a constant reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,140 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Rich people problems.

They might get their money back, with interest if they sold them on, as people can't find houses to live in!

• Advertisement

They hold their value and in some cases are worth more than they were a few years ago. look at Donedeal and Adverts. 20k vans in 2020 are now selling for 26k. There's constant posts on the various FB pages with people looking for campers offering cash. The 100k ones are very easy to shift, they don't stay for sale for more than a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Fabio

No point debating with some people on here Rambo, the nuance of anything seems to be lost on many.

FWIW - I think the Council thought "we're getting a few complaints from a certain area of the city, better do something about it but it better be easy to do" and thus the letter outlining that no vans are allowed to park overnight.

They took the easy option rather than designate a number of spaces for campers, put a 2 night maximum on stays, maybe even provide waste disposable and electricity for a fee (like in Cobh).

As usual, the City Council took the easy way out to the detriment of tourism in the city. Again.

I can only hope they follow through on providing a proper camping area close to the city as they said in that letter but would you be holding your breath?

maybe thats where your going wrong - there is no debate or argument here - its a carpark - not a campervan park!

like i said, better of using your energy to trying to get a parking area for your needs 😊

Yeah, separate limited camper bays would have been the answer, but as I said it's easier to negatively shut down than to positively change or improve. But you never know, Cork City Council might do something as people lobby.

I see cynical attempts to get the thread shut down by turning it to a childish charade when refused to have it closed by the mods. Hopefully the mods keep it open and we see what happens regarding parking for campers in the area.

I'm not "going wrong" at all Sporina, this has been addressed already in post post number 89:

"Way before you started your negative complaining & targeting for no particular reason we were positively lobbying & asking for solutions & aires in the hope we'd get it done in numerous locations before the busybodies ruined it. Unfortunately, as explained numerous times to you it's easier to shut down than create and you got your way."

Please read the posts before posting. It stops people from repeating the same stuff you've been told already.

"Hopefully the mods keep it open and we see what happens regarding parking for campers in the area."

what - you think that the powers are gonna be reading this thread? loll.. awe your funny Rambo

• Advertisement

They may be, I'm sure some councillors keep an eye on boards.ie and politics.ie, if not they may get notified on threads regarding their area. But it's more for updates, ie; if there's a change in the carpark, camper spots made available or indeed an aire is established the thread can be updated with that particular info.

For that reason it shouldn't be shut down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Shutting a thread is a mod decision and I see no reason to do that at the moment. It feels more likely that some of the immature responses will earn those posters infractions or bans.

Keep it civil & on-topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Was down that way today. Still quite a few campervans there, some of which look like they haven't moved in some time.

Interestingly, the signs don't say, "no overnight parking" the have a campervan graphic with a line through it. Does this mean that campervans aren't allowed park there at all, at any time? Is this legal?

That's odd, the Campervan icon with a line through it is usually accompanied by a no-overnight message. It could mean one of two things.

1 - No campers at all which is hard to enforce if the vans are taxed, insured and with a valid CVRT. (Usually circumnavigated with height restricted barriers eventually).

2 - Appeasing complainers, put signs up and do nothing which is very common.

i'd b v doubtful if anyone with any power etc checks in on boards.. but in any event - I do hope ye get a suitable designated campervan parking area - happy to see any money coming into the city..

Happy Sunny Long Weekend everyone - whoop whoop ☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I noticed today a load of campers in the carpark of the church opposite the mardyke (the sacred heart). Wonder if they have to pay...

was down by the marina today..

The second larger signs weren't there on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭PreCocious

I was down there last evening and was chatting to someone down for the match and they had contacted the council and were told the rules weren't starting until June 1.

This person also mentioned that they'd be happy to pay for overnight parking in a safe area etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

Sustainable holiday option? Are you smoking some funny stuff?

Campervans have the carbon footprint of about 5 diesel SUVs each, they are notoriously polluting. Miles per gallon is off the charts it's so bad, they use diesel to do the laundry, pump anything, watch TV. A standard house is far less polluting than an SUV, and a standard hotel is even more energy efficient again per person.

IF, and it's ONLY if they stay in an ecofriendly park, with sustainable water, power and sewage facilities they can offset maybe 10% of the damage they do, but in general they leave a trail of unmitigated pollution, unmanaged waste and untreated sewage in their wake. Plonking an ineffective solar panel on top of them almost as a decoration does not make them eco-friendly by any means. You have to park in the blazing sun for that to work, which cooks the residents. campervans park in the shade.

Marina car-park is certainly not a sustainable place for a campervan.

To be ecofriendly, try driving your ecar or cycle your bike, or take public transport to stay in a standard hotel, connected to mains water and mains sewage. This is many times better than the enormous ostentatious personal diesel transportation people take to smear their family excrement on a place of natural beauty.

I get that people are struggling to find housing in Ireland, that is a different issue. But drop the utter gobshittery about campervans being eco-friendly, nothing could be further from the truth.

• Advertisement

Who told you that? This is one of the silliest post I've seen, you're way off the mark here.

They use diesel to drive & they're as efficient as any light goods vehicle. After the initial trip they're sitting up and bikes are used to get around. The pumps, TV, power, everything run on leisure batteries or are hooked up to the mains. They're much much less damaging to the environment than taking a jet plane and staying in a hotel as the campsites are very eco friendly.

Where are these ecofriendly "mains" you're plugging into in the Marina car park exactly?

And on the rest… Let me google that for you… An average trip in a campervan is approx 350kg carbon… a short-haul flight Cork to Paris is about 240kg carbon.

Nice carbon emission link for you here:

https://co2.myclimate.org/en/calculate_emissions

Here are some more links specific to campervans..

https://www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/essays/is-vanlife-ecofriendly/

https://www.ispo.com/en/sustainability/how-does-sustainable-vanlife-work

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2006/jul/04/ethicalliving.lifeandhealth1

Nice try. For 4 people to fly from Cork to Paris is almost 2 tonnes of carbon.

While I'm not defending campervans' sustainability, it did seem to me that comparing a short haul flight for a single person to an, "average campervan trip", whatever that is, was deliberately disingenuous and misleading.

Also when a poster, as evidenced by their own posts, appears to take dozens of flights a year, it seems somewhat hypocritical to be accusing others of high carbon footprints!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭PreCocious

Lol. Campervanners are stereotypically frugal so fuel is not going to be wasted hence the prevalence of solar panels and battery installs. Unlike SUV drivers outside schools or down in the Marina carpark they're less likely to leave their engines idling and less likely to drive 1km just to go for a walk.

There has to be a sanity check here - the footprint of a couple driving down to Cork from Donegal has to be less than a couple flying from Cork to Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,140 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lots of barely disguised jealousy in evidence here.

Wow, this is all over the shop. They're not the devil you make them out to be.

Modern campervans are based on small or medium van chassis with the van engine. Fiat Ducato would be one such base vehicle. Extremely efficient and clean running modern diesel available with a 1.9 or 2.5 litre engine. These are no bigger than some of the jumped-up SUVs you see around the place and just as clean so I don't know how you think a campervan has the carbon footprint of 5 SUVs.

Granted, not all campervans are modern so wouldn't be as clean as a sub-10 year old Ducato but you must remember that they do, on average, a couple of thousand miles a year. They certainly aren't doing the 10 minute school run every day that those bloody SUVs do. Campervans tend to also be used on longer trips, not slow urban traffic crawls, so they're operating at peak efficiency for most of their driving time, unlike those SUVs crawling through traffic on the school run.

I don't know what you're reading but campervans do not use diesel to do laundry or watch TV. How is that even possible? Some have gas heaters for water, and most have large batteries, which the engine charges when the van is driving, which then feeds electricity for a small TV or charging tablets or phones. I've seen people fire up generators, which annoys me, but most of the time it's a "leisure battery" which will supply you with power (and solar panels can and DO help keep those topped up too).

Hopefully this doesn't come across as condescending but I hope it educates you a bit on the topic. It's unfortunate when people get up on their high horses and pontificate without knowing the real story.

campervans do not use diesel to do laundry or watch TV. Some have gas heaters for water, and most have large batteries, which the engine charges when the van is driving.

If you charge your large batteries with your diesel engine… which you use to watch TV, you are using diesel to run your TV. Make sense?

• Advertisement

The charging is done while the van is on the move. As in, driving, on the road. Same way as a normal 12V starter battery in every internal combustion vehicle in the world is charged while the vehicle is on the move.

Make sense?

Advertisement