Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACDC Croke Park Sat Aug 17th

1343536373840»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't mean for this to come across as smart-ass, but why didn't ye move. There were plenty of seats around the stands free, It would only have taken 10 minutes of your time max, to get up, and have a look around. Or at least say it to a steward that getting a view like that is not on, and threaten that you were going to make an official complaint unless something is done about it. They would have accommodated you if you pressed hard enough. They have vacant seats set aside on the lower decks for people that get vertigo from being up in the heights.

A smaller issue in the overall mix is our willingness to take whatever is given to us, and just suck it up. I know the seats shouldn't have been sold in the first place and the blame list with the promotor and ticketmaster. But if I arrived at croke park, all excited for the gig, after paying a fair few bob for the seats. And if I was given those seats, there is no way I would just take it on board. I would create a huge fuss, until I got a respectable viewing point for the money that I spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Its unfair sales practice

A sales practice is considered ‘unfair’ if it meets these conditions:

It is misleading (giving false information or leaving out important information) or aggressive (putting pressure on you to buy)

It is likely to distort your buying decision

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/advertising-and-promotions/unfair-sales-practices/

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fabvinny

Amazing show! Amazing day out!! great buzz around town before the show. I was in Section 531 in the Hogan,great seat,great sound! The stand was vibrating with the sound!!

Shout out to the guy sitting(yes,sitting)down for the first half hour while he did his fantasy football team on his phone!!….

Got the 00.40 train back to Cork,It was a very quiet train when I got off in Mallow!!! lots of Cork passengers sound asleep!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

4th time seeing them, first time was in 1991, I went with my 12 yr old son this time around and it was probably a combination of going with him and the super setlist that it would rank in my top 10 all time gigs. The crowd were fantastic and Angus Young must be on steroids as he belied he years. I've read a few people say that his solo took away from the momentum but I thought it was fantastic and from where we were at the back of the pitch I thought the crowd loved it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Went along with my brother in law. I wasn't really looking forward to it as i'm not the biggest AC/DC fan, but was blown away by the gig. The crowd were great too, very responsive.

We weren't drinking but fancied a couple of Guinness zeros, but nowhere seemed to be selling them? Water it was!

Glad we were on the dry as the queue for all the bars was insane. It must have taken an hour for people to get served.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Was in Cusack 303 (180 ticket), the view wasn't perfect but as a whole we really enjoyed, hadn't seen them since that crap in Punchestown, and it was a massive improvement on that.

Two lads one seat away from us, absolutely leathered, falling over people front, back and sideways, utter waste of money for them.

Wife thought it was superb and even though being skeptical going, she would be happy to go to see them again… anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I really enjoyed the gig. My expectations were not set crazy high, nothing was going to top seeing the classic line up from the pit at punchestown in 2009, also the sound in croker is always poor unless you are very close to the stage. They were on a little earlier than what I was reading online, we were on the pitch just as they were half way through if you want blood. I thought they were on stage at 8:30.
    Its also was the first gig I seen in croke park where everyone in the stands were standing for the entire gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭endainoz

What crap in punchestown? That was an amazing gig

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

The last ACDC gig I attended in Punchestown, (Conceded it was nothing to do with the band) the most disorganized effort I have ever seen, getting to and from it was a disaster, missed the entire warm up and the first two songs due to bus failure to get to the park. Had to leave before the encore due to the unbelievably badly managed transport to get back, the Braveheart style charge at the bus rank when they knocked down the guiding gates was the best bit.

I will never darken Punchestown with my shadow again, I don't care who is there, a terrible location

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭porker36

In fairness I do see where you are coming from, when we got to our seats the place was fairly full where we were, a lot of people had moved over to the next section and taken the seats, we did move into there seats and once everyone was standing was hard to get through people, we were a few seats up from the standing area, I asked the steward to go out to the standing area but was a no go and complained about view but wasn't her issue, it is what it is now, have moved on from it, still enjoyed the gig, only my second ever concert and I'm close to 50😶 ill know better next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,590 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd like to second - or third that - Punchestown in '09 was such an organisational disaster that to this day I've never gone back to a big outdoor gig that isn't in a big city. Never again would I ever go to a big gig in a field down the country in Ireland.

The band were decent on the day from what I can recall of it. But the day itself was a load of cack. What mainly sticks in my mind is the absolute mess that was leaving the place. I also remember the crush at the guarding rail - it was getting scary, you could let yourself go completely limp and you'd still stay upright because everyone was packed in so tightly - and people eventually knocking them down to get free.

It was total anarchy trying to get a bus out of the venue. There was zero control from security, the guards, whoever, just totally every man for himself. Eventually got back to Dublin at about 7AM the next morning. As an overall experience it was probably the worst gig I was ever at - and I've been to a lot.

Whatever about people's complaints about queues or organisation at CP on Saturday it's literally impossible that it could have been worse than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭endainoz

I see, organization was the issue, I don't remember much myself just the massive trek into the site. Nothing will be top that gig of theirs for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ha ha. That was some shambles alright. I remember sitting in a bus soaked to the skin. And sitting in it for hours and hours trying to get back to Dublin. Got home at 4am. Would have been quicker walking from Punchestown. The band were grand and we enjoyed singing along , even in the rain. But as a form of entertainment, that was definitely the worst event I was ever at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Glad to see it's not me being a snowflake with memories of Punchestown. The buses left Parnell Street AFAIR and unexpectedly dumped everyone at the Storm Cinema off the dual carriageway at the turn for Naas. It took about two hours to walk to the concert site. Getting home was like the last scene of the Titanic. I remember some very kind random guy literally hoisting me up out of the crowd without warning and lifting me onto the bus!

I reckon the whole Punchestown event - as the show itself was incredible - is probably the Aviva was deemed a disappointment. ACDC are never going to sound the same in quaint Dublin 4 versus a far off warzone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,590 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Just thankful it wasn't in Slane like the rumour of yesteryear

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭thebronze14

I do recall getting Dublin bus alright and having to walk about 7km alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Is there a decibel limit in Croker?! Halfway through the first tune it occured to me that it was at least twice as loud as Bruce in May. At least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Bombaby1974

I remember it well. Our bus dumped us out at Goffs FFS!!! EVeryone stopped off at tesco to buy cans to drink on the looong walk to the venue. That was a bit of craic at least but getting home was no joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

LOL in a very devilish twist of fate I had a hospital hearing test yesterday. I passed with flying colours so whatever happened in Croker Saturday night hasn't done any damage - you'll be grand!!

I didn't notice the ACDC volume as nothing could ever surpass the ear blasting of Motley Crue (supporting Def Leppard) at Marlay Park last year. The Wok 'n Roll food truck was literally shaking and "Girls Girls Girls" could be heard in Bray.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,962 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My ears were ringing less after Croke Park than they were after Wembley. I was pretty much at the barrier both times.

Might be that I suffered permanent damage at Wembley resulting in less damage that could be done this time....😀

Was as close for Def Leppard and Mötley Crue and do not remember it that loud. I guess though that it really does depend where you are in the crowd. I would also guess that with a stadium like Croke Park more sound is "captured" than with a field like Marlay Park

Was at Punchestown and think we had to park up at Goffs and walk in from there which did take forever and the walk back in the dark was worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

I have fond memories of Punchestown as a mate of mine was working at the gig and had a contractors car pass so was able to drop myself and the wife right up to the gate before the start (and give us pit pass wristbands) and then pick us up afterwards from the same place. As we were leaving in his car it was starting to look like Napoleons retreat from Moscow as thousands of fans were trying to get onto a very small number of buses which were being rocked back and forth as the crowd surged.

This may be an urban myth but I heard afterwards about a heavily overloaded bus that slid off the road into a verge and the driver wanted to wait for a replacement bus to come and pick up his passengers but the passengers got of the bus and pushed / lifted it back onto the road. I'm sure it never happened but it's a nice storey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I think you might have been at the wrong gig… did you not expect it to be loud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Course, and Im not complaining. Was just surprised. But its rare you hear big gigs that loud these days. Last gig I saw that was louder was probably Motorhead 15 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

It was definitely the loudest concert I've ever been too. The intro with the car on screen nearly blew my ear drums. Head was ringing all night after it.

**** brilliant. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,590 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hearing about Phill Lynotts 75th birthday today

If only he was still with us he could of still of been rocking the place given the age of some legends still performing

An AC/DC and Lynott fronted Thin Lizzy Co headline tour would of been amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

I genuinely feel privileged to have seen AC/DC on 8 occasions, including twice in the last 5 weeks 🤘😎🤘

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭limerickabroad

Well, that was a great, great night and big thanks to the person here who put up a link to the residents' pre-sale way back when . . . we had excellent seats in the Cusack, thanks to you!

That was a much better gig than the Aviva one back in 2015, for a few reasons, I think (I wasn't at Punchestown, but some serious PTSD after that one, judging from here 😀 ). From memory, the Aviva was a mid-week night, and the crowd were much more lively last Saturday, for sure. And it had a real 'end-of-tour' feel to it last week, too. The crowd were fantastic, I thought - the 'ole oles' and the Mexican Wave, etc. Also, (even though the sound has issues in places) I do think Croker is a great venue for this type of show - the walk down Dorset Street, the crowds outside the pubs, the street-sellers, then around to the Ballybough side of the stadium - it really was just good vibes all the way . . .

Only real negative was the queues for drink and merchandise. Surely they could have people walking up and down the aisles in the stands, selling bottles? And some more merch stands? Would help to lessen the queues somewhat.

Anyway, a brilliant night and the best gig I've been to in quite a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Incredible gig!

Was there a gig poster for the Dublin date or was it just the Demon Fire tee?

• Advertisement
Advertisement