Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twisters

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Went to see this in 4DX. It was very enjoyable as you got battered and thrown around the cinema seats. Combined with lots of wind blowing around the cinema and the occasional water spout, it was a typical "disaster" movie. Could read the story very easily, but if you want to turn your brain off and enjoy a bit of usual "oh no what's going to happen" type cinema, you'd be hard pushed to find another this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

The original is rubbish itself and I'll watch almost anything with Bill Paxton

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought it was fairly good - a well made big-budget popcorn movie, good pace, (mainly) reasonable acting, plenty of spectacle, storyline was perfectly fine in the context of what it is.

I like Twister, and I'd say anyone that does will find this watchable at worst. It's no masterpiece but it's a lot better than I actually expected it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,948 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Would agree with this if I had to some it up in a word I would say...grand.

Kind of what I expected. The two leads had chemistry, Glen Powell in particular has real charisma, story wise it was all very predictable.

Some of the secondary characters were pretty irritating though especially the ones with Glen Powell. David Corenswet (aka the new superman) has a very one dimensional minor character but it is always nice to see Maura Tierney.

The fire tornado was a bit sharknado esque but the sequence with wind turbines was a lot of fun. I did roll my eyes at parts of the big finale, the tram pinning Glen Powell etc. Effects solid enough.

6.5/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,690 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was anyone else expecting Helen Hunt cameo as the mother

Daisy reminded me of Anne Hathaway but herself and cocky charisma jock Tyler worked as leads, Glen Powell does well with southern charm

I felt I was watching new Ghostbusters at times 🙈☺

Was Daisy's wardrobe a tad Sarah Connor ish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Thank god there was none. Tired of that IP trope, where the oldies return to say some catchphrases and save the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. What the point of it all is......I'm not quite sure, it bounced from set piece to set piece with no real plot to speak of. But it was never boring, Glen powell was great, and daisy Edgar jones decent enough, I just wish they'd let her use her normal accent and not have to put on the American twang. It's just not necessary. Anyway it's pretty entertaining and not a bad way to spend a weekend afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭gossamerfabric

Annoyed me that they tried to preach about climate change.

Twisters is 2024, Twister was 1996, Twisters and Twister had Dorothy from Wizard of Oz 1939 based on the book from 1900.

Tornados happen, have happened for a long time before Europeans came to north America and will continue to happen in to the future…that is nature, not climate change.

Did they?

Even the director himself said it was a conscious decision not to include a message like that.

"While the new movie doesn't explicitly send a message about climate change, Chung said there is a scene where a local farmer complains about storms and floods becoming more frequent and driving up the price of wheat."

It's literally a tiny passing scene (that mentions storms and floods - as far as I know plenty of evidence floods are linked to climate change) I can't remember even after having seen the film, so nothing was being "preached" no idea where you are getting that notion from.

• Advertisement

Did they? They did.

Daisy's life goal is the stop Tornadoes with Nappies because these storms are happening so much more often nowadays and of course corporate America is profiting from it all with their funding of 3-d modelling of live Tornadoes to target victims.

No they didn't. Literally read the directors words.

A silly film about stopping tornadoes is now pushing climate change? Lol...is sharknado the same now? What about the upcoming catnado?

Certain sectors in corporate America do profit from tornadoes etc...that isn't "preaching" about climate change.

It's a stupid disaster flick not a documentary or some climate change pushing Hollywood propaganda.

We must have been watching different movies. Are you sure you didn't see a screening of the mockbuster version?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Opening US box-office of $80 million: not too shabby at all; even if one accounts for inflation vs. ticket prices it's a pretty strong opening & further complicates this reductive pearl-clutching that cinemas / movies are in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭I see sheep

That main actor irritates me immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭riddles

Went to see it with the young lad really enjoyed it. it’s ridiculous which is what makes it enjoyable- grain silos and truck trailers etc all getting picked up. The maverick guys drops two drills which drill into cornfield about two feet down and this means he can park in the middle of the tornado to send up fireworks.

Another clip the main female character is getting out of the truck and the other guy says here put these on - pair of safety glasses. She’s wearing a tank top with galvanise sheets and all manner of debris flying around the place.

It’s good cinematic entertainment a perfect to take your early teens to.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I watched it on Sunday, don't think I've actually watched it since renting it on VHS when it was released.

Was still great fun. Huge amount of practical effects that still look great. Better than a lot of similar films I've seen in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

where did you see it?
    There’s no 4DX in Ireland is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ah lads, you can't have thought this was fun!

It's been a long time since I've seen such an empty lacklustre soul-less humour-less action movie.

The climax with the cinema has absolutely zero jeopardy whatsoever.

Should have went to see Longlegs..

• Registered Users Posts: 86,690 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I have seen both, there isn't much out at the minute ha.

It wasn't great or anything but I wanted something fun and mindless and it delivered that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I couldn't believe how many people here liked it. I think it was the 2nd film ever i walked out of (15min in is how long I lasted).

The acting was so woeful, the dialogue was atrocious, ridiculous exposition between the characters and the events made little sense (if you are into weather/tornados at all).

I mean i did laugh at how awful it was. The main character who is a psychic when it comes to unpredictable weather but gets caught in an F5 tornado when they think it might be a stretch for it to be an F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Any idea if Cineworld will be showing it again in 4DX?

Do they really have wind and water blowing over the audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Yup. Movies don't need to push that agenda anymore. Just look out your window to see that climate change is real. Thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

saw this today - rainy avo in Cork - really enjoyed it - after a hard week, twas easy on the eyes and brain - writing and acting questionable in places but money well spent - laughed a lot - maybe other viewers didn't appreciate my giggles - but hey ho - i would recommend it if you looking for some light entertainment

Advertisement