Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what kit do I need to reset service indicator/query error logs/install new items on BMW?

• 12-02-2024 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

I'd like to start taking care of my own servicing and have started thinking about the basics I'd need in my shed at home to get going...like changing the oil, filters, plugs, any other reasonable servicable items...was thinking also about replacing/upgrading some electrical items like fitting a better horn (original meep is useless) pair of additional daytime lights...down the line maybe in time get good enough to fully strip a bike and rebuild it who knows (years ago before kids arrived I got handy enough with cars, did my own brakes, done clutches, fuelling, even rebuilt a couple of engines)

I know with cars there's plenty of affordable options about (like obd VCDS tool for VW's) but I'm not sure where to start with the bikes, I'm on a budget I don't intend to start servicing bikes for profit just want to take care of my own and learn more about them. I might have other makes bikes under the roof as time moves along dunno but I'm a BMW at present

anyone with practical advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭JP 1800

For BMW there are GS-911, Motoscan app which requires a specific dongle or BMW ista (rheingold). The GS 911 is quite expensive, the motoscan is supposed to be quite good. The best would be rheingold which is dealer level diagnostics, but can be a pain to set up. I have a basic GS clone which is quite limited but does what I need. What bike are you currently on?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

gonna give that Motoscan a go see how it goes, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭JP 1800

Nice, I am on the K1200GT, the older bigger brother of the F800 GT. The Motoscan would probably be the best. You need to buy the recommended OBD dongle but the benefit of this is you have the app on your phone and can do diagnostics anywhere.

I went for "UniCarScan UCSI-2100 + short cable" option direct off the Motoscan website there

will repurpose one of the kids Android tabs not in use for the app when she lands

looking forward to getting started!

• Advertisement
Advertisement